[Octopus]: New Octo, no name, no ID (yet)

SueAndHerZoo

Wonderpus
Registered
My octo from NY Aquatic arrived today.... what a gorgeous specimen! I've never had one this big before so it was kind of a "Woah!" moment when I opened the box and while acclimating him. And then when trying to get him out of the acclimation container to the tank, it was overwhelming since all my octos in the past have been tiny (hatchlings).

No idea what he is..... hoping you can give me a clue. I released him into the tank at 12:30 p.m. and he is still dancing around the tank at 3:30 p.m. It's a delight and thrill to watch him and examine him, but is this a sign of stress? I am accustomed to the octos going into the tank, hiding in a rock, and hardly ever being seen again.

I'll try to attach some photos and videos.....(the first two thumbnails are videos, the third is a photo) feel free to suggest what he/she might be and any possible names.... he looks like an Ollie to me but that's already taken. :smile:

Sue

Last edited:
Sue, the bulletin board software does not allow direct embedding. If Photobucket does not provide a bulletin board type link (it should be marked that way or as BB) then a link to the URL will let us see the video by visiting your collection.

Still thinking aculeatus and we allow :biggrin2: duplicate names.

Tried before and just tried several times again.... I keep getting a message that says my "url is not valid". I am taking it from Photobucket's "codes" and choosing the one for "Forums" but TONMO won't accept it.... can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, but will keep trying.
Sue

Tried before and just tried several times again.... I keep getting a message that says my "url is not valid". I am taking it from Photobucket's "codes" and choosing the one for "Forums" but TONMO won't accept it.... can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, but will keep trying.
Sue
Maybe I'm selecting the wrong icon above my message here... do I want the icon of a camera or the "link" icon?

Sue,
Try displaying the video in PhotoBucket and then copying the actual URL in your browser's address bar and then pasting it into the text area of a post (either by editing one of the above posts or a new one). Do a direct paste and don't try to use the icons with their pop-up windows. That will give us access. Once there is a URL, I can look to see if there is anything more available that will allow embedding.

OK, for PhotoBucket,
After viewing the video click on "Share" at the top of the window
When the options are displayed, click on the one labeled, "IMG for Bulletin Boards and Forums"
This will place a URL into your clipboard.
Come to TONMO and RIGHT CLICK with your mouse a new post and select paste.

Initially you will see a URL but when you SAVE the post you should have an embedded video.

Try it below and I will delete my copy :sagrin:

I have added this information to our Tips and Tricks thread (using your video as the example). I hope it helps as I know it can get frustrating.

Last edited:
Did you notice the "missing" arm and the tiny thread where it is growing back? You can just see it in the first video at about 10 - 24 seconds (several flashes of the new growth).

Did you notice the "missing" arm and the tiny thread where it is growing back? You can just see it in the first video at about 10 - 24 seconds (several flashes of the new growth).

OMG - No, I didn't, and now I feel like such a horrible mom for NOT noticing it. Then again, I received a lot of livestock via FedEx today and have been acclimating and cleaning tanks all day and most of the night. And this guy hasn't stayed still long enough for me to check him out thoroughly...... that's quite the eye you've got there! Thank you.
Sue

I have gone several days (maybe more than a week) and not noticed a missing arm until I learned to always take acclimation videos (not just stills) and then review all of them even if they turned out unpost worthy. For some reason I seldom think to count arms but end up seeing the new growth and THEN count arms to realize one (or more but usually more than one gets your attention during acclimation) are missing. I believe another was very recently bitten off at the tip as well but you will have to look closely to tell as it could be just the angle in the video (the tip appears blunt and not pointed).

Missing arms, parts of arms or shortened arms are always going to be the case for a wild caught animal. Even several O. briareus I have received that were less than 5 months old (an arbitrary call on when they start coming out of the rocks and into the open to hunt and be seen by keepers) show signs of arm predation.

There is nothing you can do to assist the growth but it will give you something interesting to watch. I suggest trying to journal a good guess to the growth rate and note when you can no longer easily tell it was missing. If the tip I think is missing, watch for a small string to sprout at the end and then watch for tiny suckers to start developing (also watch for swelling indicating infection, the one already growing back looks normal). If you have a large magnifying glass, 2-5x only as anything more will be too hard to use, you will be able to see the suckers on the current growth. Reading glasses are also a helpful magnifier :old:.

Last edited:
LOL I have magnifying glasses and reading glasses stationed at all my tanks, and have purchased some stronger magnifying devices just for tank use but, as you said, the stronger they are, the harder they are, so the basic ones usually work the best.

Thanks for the info on the missing legs/tips...... I'm still so amazed that you picked that up in the short video. Something tells me you've done this before. :smile:
Sue

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back