New octo ID. I'm stumped.

So this little guy has me stumped. We got him in from LA a couple of days ago. No idea where he came from. Sorry for the cruddy pics but he's small. That is a critter keeper lid for size comparison. The marks above each eye are the only real feature I can make out. They are a baby blue normally. There are no eyespots that I can see. Any ideas?

Thanks
Brandon

Attachments

• conv_304296.jpg
    conv_304296.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 137
  • conv_304297.jpg
    conv_304297.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 132
Those eye markings are most interesting. Please consider journaling this little guy if you keep him and encourage the buyer to journal him if he is sold.

It appears that her front two arms are shorter than the others. Is this photo observation correct? She is bigger than my 3 month old briareus shots and I would suspect that the mantle to arm ratio is close to adult proportions (1:2.5 or 1:3?). The adult size, however, is anyone's guess.

Upvote 0
O.rubescens has a mantle to arm ratio of 1:3, full grown they have a mantle of around 10cm and arms that are 30cm. In addition Hooter said the distributor though it was from indo-pacific. Rub comes from mostly the north east pacific.

Upvote 0
Ya I know about the range of O. Rubescens, but he said "Called the wholesaler and they said "probably Indo-Pacific" but who knows." so I was just pitching in. I wasn't taking into consideration the arm to mantel ration.

Upvote 0
Hi all! It looks like Octopus bocki, from the tropical Pacific- it's a pygmy, so almost (if not already) full grown. A very pretty animal- strictly nocturnal though, so unlikely to come out.

Upvote 0
Muctopus read my mind! Look up my thread for "Izzy" under Journals. She was a very sweet little nocturnal dwarf I had for a while. Very friendly- after 11 pm or so. Compare your little guy with photos I have posted of her.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back