New Octo ID 🙂

Hi!!!
Just got this beautiful new little one and was looking for some help with figuring out what species he/she is. Unfortunately I really wasn't able to get much information on him. I bought him from an aquarium shop in California and he was sold as a prickly octopus, but he doesnt look much like an Abdopus Aculeatus to me. I'm guessing dwarf of some kind. Any ideas?

4-27-2024-icfm07.jpg

20240501_161830.jpg

...oh boy, when I see this color I always want to say macropus, but I'm no expert and could be way off. Hopefully others will weigh in. It will be interesting to learn behaviors. e.g., is s/he nocturnal? Looking forward to the journal!

Here's a good thread on macropus, with several references within:

Upvote 0
...oh boy, when I see this color I always want to say macropus, but I'm no expert and could be way off. Hopefully others will weigh in. It will be interesting to learn behaviors. e.g., is s/he nocturnal? Looking forward to the journal!

Here's a good thread on macropus, with several references within:
I'd be ecstatic if it was a Macropus 🙂. I've had a few octopuses in the past and it seems I almost always end up with dwarves so it would be great it I got something else for a change. I'll definitely check out that reference! Thanks! Hopefully I'll be able to get some more pictures later to help with an identification and will definitely be starting a journal 🙂.

Upvote 0
It looks like a typical Octopus bocki to me - if it's from a LFS it likely came through one of the LA-based wholesalers. We pick up these little O. bocki from them all the time, and this looks identical - minor arm striping but usually dark reddish-brown.

Upvote 1
Sponsor Banner
please support our sponsor
////O\\\\
advertise on TONMO

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back