• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

New Octo from LiveAquaria

MikeHoncho

Cuttlefish
Registered
thoughts? The ad said he was from Mexico

?
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
FullSizeRender (3).jpg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (4).jpg
    FullSizeRender (4).jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 173
  • FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 167

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Are you seeing an eye spot that looks like a target when it is agitated? The bright orange on the funnel makes me think of vulgaris but the original images still have me thinking hummelincki. Does it sleep most of the night? I have observed that O. hummelincki needs its beauty sleep at night whether or not it is out during the day where O. vulgaris varies it hunting time and can be seen out often at night.

Upvote 0

MikeHoncho

Cuttlefish
Registered
He is in my classroom, so I don't see him at night. He is quite active during the day. I have yet to see a blue spot like my last hummelincki had, so I was leaning toward vulgaris, but he doesn't have the same amount of webbing of most vulgaris' that I've seen.

Upvote 0

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
He is beautiful and I am jealous. I am glad the students get to see him active. Have you converted any of them to wanting to study cephs :sagrin: ?

Upvote 0

MikeHoncho

Cuttlefish
Registered
He is very popular! I do have several students that are fascinated by cephs. Kids are blown away by how little we know about cephs. They think that everything has already been discovered about nature.

Upvote 0

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
LOL, I was going to say the underside looks very hummelincki :biggrin2: but in the video the arms and mantle look more vulgaris. Hummelincki arms are sort of stubby and almost form a triangle. This one (does he/she have a name?) seems to have longer arms and a longer, less "chunky" mantle. I have often thought O. hummelincki cannot fit through as small of a hole as an equal sized O. briareus because their mantle seems much thicker and more muscular. This is very evident when they are preserved.

I am glad you are getting across to the kids that there is much left to be discovered and hopefully that each discovery we do make brings new questions to be answered.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak