New Octo from Live Aquaria!

I feel the same way about Tom... before I ordered I did a lot of research as to who sold what and what was actually recieved. The two most consistant sources have been Live Aquaria and Tom. Obviously, its not exact and sometimes you dont get just what you expect but... they are consistant, which made me feel better when ordering... I am planning a larger tank, though my husband kind of objects:sagrin: And if/when I do order a larger octo it will be from Tom.

I did contact Tom and let him know what I received was not O. briareus and is thought to be O. vulgaris. Just as a FYI. I did however let him know how pleased I am with Diablo. I even sent his a video or 2. He seemed to enjoy them and took it in the spirit in which it was meant. He told me he may list them as possibly a few different kinds just in case they are not what he guesses. He also thanked me for letting people know about him, which I feel no thanks necessary, I always spread the word when I have good experiences with vendors. I feel fortunate to have a guy like him as a reliable source for octopuses.

Excellent! I have had a few communications with him over time and try to spark his interest (note he references TONMO for a care source :sagrin:). Years ago, before moving to the Keys (or moving back, I don't quite remember) and becoming a professoinal collector, he kept one as a pet.

dwhatley;157213 said:
Excellent! I have had a few communications with him over time and try to spark his interest (note he references TONMO for a care source :sagrin:). Years ago, before moving to the Keys (or moving back, I don't quite remember) and becoming a professoinal collector, he kept one as a pet.

I never noticed the reference to Tonmo, that's fantastic! I email him now and them, he always responds pretty quick. What an interesting line of work to be in. :smile:

I'm mid NW as well! I wouldn't mind a vulgaris or briareus if my tank was bigger. I only have a 46gal bowfront. That's just crazy, there has to be at least one lfs that gets octos every once in a while within a 2-3hr radius from Chicago. We should start a ceph store! Hahaha that would be a blast! :lol:

On a different note, do you guys test for iodine, magnesium and calcium? Are cephs particularly sensitive to any of these?

I have read, but can't sight that calcium is not a concern one way or the other for octopuses as they don't need it as their beak is chitin (like fingernail material) rather than bone. I have not seen reference to iodine and magnesium levels for other than corals and shrimp.

I test for calcium and kh, I dose B-ionics 2 part cal and PH buffer. I test magnesium only once in a while, regularly in my anemone tanks I add it infrequently the in the octopus tank, I just try to keep it at natural sea levels. Forget iodine, it is very difficult to test (a good slat mix should have an adequate amount) and cannot stress enough, do not add anything without testing first.

Aquarium adventure on Roselle Rd, familiar with it? I have seen octopuses there on occasion. I met a guy on RC, he works at the one in Bolingbrook. He said they might be able to order one. I decided against that route as they were just calling them common brown octopus, a crap shoot.
Where on the NW side? I am in Old Norwood Park, down the street from Norwood Park School. Are you familiar with the neighborhood? Wouldn't that be funny if we really were neighbors?

I see, I'm just trying to pin point all variables leading to it's death. I haven't added any supplements in at least 4-5 weeks, but I did add some iodine, calcium and magnesium once every blue moon before I decided to put another octopus in.

Hmmmmmm no, but I will definitely call them. Hahaha I thought that too. I'm around Irving park and Elston, so you are a bit further out than I am though.

My tank is looking desperately empty at the moment, I hope I get one soon.

kpage;157299 said:
My tank is looking desperately empty at the moment, I hope I get one soon.

I understand what you mean... After my poor little nameless octo died I had to take my tank a part trying to get the ammonia down and took the time to upgrade the sump and lid. It still had water in it but I just had a small whisper filter on it for that time. The only thing in the tank was hermits and snails. Talk about depressing.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back