New Octo from LA

LueyK

Hatchling
Registered
Hi,

First post on Tonmo!

I just got a new octopus from LA (I think it's an abdopus) and I noticed that ALL of its legs are missing the ends - I would estimate at least 1/3 of the leg is missing for all of them. The mantle length is about 1.5". The legs are probably no longer than 3-4". I noticed when the guy was swimming across the tank and it seemed out of proportion. On closer examination, I saw the damaged ends of the legs. Other than the missing leg ends, the guy seems to be doing well for being freshly acclimated.

I called LA and they told me they would extend my warrenty another two weeks to 28 days. How concerned should I be about this - I know Octos can regenerate legs but even at this magnitude? Is this a sign of autophagy?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Most Abdopus aculeatus collected in the field are missing some arms - or parts thereof. This is a species that autotomizes arms as a defensive tactic. It has good regenerative powers and most arms will grow back in a couple of months. However, the damage you describe is potentially a problem since it is symmetrical. It is possible that the animal was jetting away from a fish and the fish bit off all of the arm tips in one bite. However, the problem you describe is also commonly caused by autophage - eating ones own arms. This is a common problem in octopus and is usually fatal. Often people attribute autophage to stress (which may be a contributing factor). but some studies suggest that it is actually a disease. Is there any sign of regeneration? That would be a good indication that the animal is recovering. Good luck. I hope for your sake the damage was caused by a hungry grouper trying to chase down your octopus.

Roy

Luey,
Hopefully, you will keep a log of how the animal progresses and, with your permission, I would like to move this post to our Journals subforum.

I will keep you guys up to date on the condition of my new Octo. Feel free to move this thread whereever you feel is appropriate.

Thanks for the responses!

Excellent. We don't see autophage often and I have only seen it once when an older animal escaped the tank and was under a ceiling fan long enough to note skin damage. The self-mutilation in this case was progressive and immediate (he destroyed his arms in two days). Jean (Portabello Aquarium in New Zealand) has mentioned the kind that appears to be a contagious bacteria but I don't know of another case of this sort reported on TONMO. :fingerscrossed: that Roy's grouper thought is the cause here.

Update: So, it's been 5 days since I got my Octo and it looks like it's doing well. It has been eating regularily and it's skin looks very healthy. The color changes are spectacular. I also see little "nubs" growing out of the ends of its legs - not sure but... are those the new leg ends coming out? If so, very cool!

Great, it sounds like Roy's "grouper" theory is the case or the nervous condition was short lived.

It would make more sense to call them legs since the translation is head foot but spiders have 8 legs, octopuses have 8 arms :wink:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back