New Mysterious Blob found in NZ

I would certainly vouch for Phil's theory of the sperm whale melon, the "blobettes" sticking out of the main blob, these sort of fingerlike appendages, are most likely the "junk" that's underneath the spermaceti containing reservoir. As it's partitioned by connective tissue, which is hardest to decay, I would put my money on it.

how can it be a whale mellon? how would you remobe a whale mellon without a really really really really big hacksaw. and i don't think that there is a hacksaw big enough, and like i said before whale skin cannot come off in tact. whatever it is it looks really disgusting, and probably smells really really really really bad:bonk: (thats my favorite smilie)

It is a natural process called rotting; you don't need a hacksaw if you can have bacteria take care of the dirty work :smile: The connective tissues in a (sperm) whale's melon are extremely resistant to decay and quite often the last to go. Because of its high oil content, the melon will float, whereas the heavy skull will drop off and sink towards the abyss with the rest of the skeleton.

A fair number of "globsters" have been identified this way, supported by DNA matching.

Shark skin is even tougher and harder to remove from a (fresh) carcass than whale skin is, yet have a look at these washed up rotted carcasses!

If you mean what's in the pictures, it says BaskingShark.

If you're wondering what other animal remains look like, then I don't think I can help you on that one (not a big fan of dead and decaying animal image collecting)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back