New Inklet Pictures!

75 is Inklets temp! Interesting!! But I really think Lil P was such a tiny baby, he could have come from the same batch being he came from Fish Supply.

When do you get yours BOE?

Tonight Inklet ate his first fiddler crab! Came home to a box of 20 sitting on my front porch. They arrived from Florida in great shape!! Only lost 1 and he puts in extra I quess to acount for a fatality or two. Anyway as soon as I put it in the tank Inklet was on it. I have started clipping the small claws as I saw how much one crab was hurting Lil P. The large male crabs don't seem to pinch.

Heres another shot of Inklet happily eating his first crab in his shell!

He's in a 29 Gal. I know eventually I may have to convert my 45 flatback hex to salt for him! Or I do have a 50 gal pentagon, but I bought it used and am not sure on the history of copper usage. Could make that Fresh and still use my 45 for Lil P.....Hmmmmm... Maybe we need a poll on how many tanks everyone has!!!!

Carol

Inklets is a 44 gal pentagon, corner tank. I really think Lil P is so small yet the tank size would not be influencing him yet. He used to live in a small 5 gal pethome within the tank!!!

Wasn't it said lower temp slows the growth rate? There is a good 6 degrees difference in temp between the two.

Lower temps can also slow down growth rates but not sure to what extent. Isn't Inklet in Ink's tank? Boy, who knew one could miss so much in just 1 night!

I kept Roxy's tank at about 68, and she didn't get nearly as big as Ollie did. I'm not sure how big Roxy was compared to Ink. But then again I usually only fed Roxy every other day, so that may have also affected her size. John
I haven't started chilling Truffles yet with the fan. With our room temp, the tank stays warmer at about 77-78.

I think there's a lot we don't know about feeding/water temperature/bimac size/lifespan.

When adjusted for the arrival date, Ollie, Ink, and Roxy all died within ten days of each other - yet they were kept in different temperatures, fed different amounts, etc.

In an article on GPOs, Roland Anderson called into question whether less food resulted in longer lifespan - he mentioned that this may be true for vertebrates (some experiments have been done in this area), but would not necessarily be true for invertebrates.

I have never been able to find any real experiments or substantiation of the less feeding/longer lifespan or the lower temperature/longer lifespan theories. That doesn't mean this work does not exist, but it does seem hard to find.

There is also the theory that an octopus will grow no larger than the den it has available. Well, Ollie just kept expanding her den!

Some bimacs do grow large, like Ollie. I knew of three last year, and have been told of others. I guess I have wondered if there is some genetic component as well.

Nancy

I personally don't agree that the size of the environment will keep and octo small, or else we would have quite a few tiny ones with the smaller set-ups, and no need to set-up another tank once there bimac outgrows it. How could a bimac outgrow anything if that were true?

With verts it does make sence to a certain degree, and food definately has to play a factor in both. IMO -Proper nutrition for anything is ideal, for body mass, health, and life span.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back