New Giant Squid documentary

Clem said:
Steve, did you cut your hair with a weed-whacker again?

Rebecca was just commenting that she thought your hair looked great, Steve!

Of course she does usually resemble an anime character...

What a beautiful solution they came up with. It's almost like fly-fishing: select your brook, identify a promising hole and then aim for a well-chosen spot. I can't think of any reason why the approach couldn't be cheaply tried anywhere there's a steady population of sperm whales and local researchers and captains to compare notes with. Besides, it wouldn't cost too much to upgrade the cameras to video, would it? A live-feed link to the boat would be nice too, I'd wager.

Someone freeze-frame the doco and let us know if that's Kat. Kat, was that you sorting big, black beaks in a white tray? If only I hadn't been writing notes...

:cry:

It could have been Kat, or it could have been Emma or Severine; I remember the take. Not that any of Kat, Emma or Severine looks like or is remotely like any other, but it was an awkward shot; I remember it well!

From what I can determine (transcripts), they used portions of one days filming only, in offices, and didn't include any of the sea (sound made difficult by conditions/engines), whale (sound made difficult being in an emergency room, ringing phones and ... emergency room chatter) or endoscope (sound made difficult with torential rain) shots.

I comb my hair once a day, in the morning, and don't see (nor care to see) a mirror for 24 hours (or longer). I tend to have an unruly mop, but the alternative is shaven (and I haven't done this for several years); wifey cuts it every 6-or-so months. If I bearded these days it would be half gray ... so I don't do that anymore either. Sigh.

Here's why I didn't watch this documentary:

I went and finally bought a big-screen TV yesterday. Was racing against the clock to bring it home and get it hooked up so I could watch the documentary on the new TV.

Instead, I lost my wallet, and wasn't sure where... So I went back out to retrace my steps; meanwhile a VERY kind couple had thankfully found it on the ground near the gas pump (fell out of my shorts pocket as I was getting into the car). I was able to meet up with them at our local mall and they handed it back to me as I thanked them profusely. Nice as pie, those two. I tried to get their business card so I could send them a gift basket from Harry & David or something but they refused.

Anyway, that was what I did during the 8pm hour. I said to myself, "that's OK, I know there are multiple airings". This morning I find out the second one was at midnight last night! And the next isn't until 8/19.

:sad:

I'll join this discussion in a few weeks...

Will we ever get it here in the Netherlands, or will I have to wait until I'm no longer a sullen bathypelagic gelatinous blob? That's it, isn't it?! Just because I don't spend my every waking hour posting, tsssk :smile:

Any more info on the spermwhales having an archifest at the surface, Adam?

It was amazing, Olaf! The Cachalots were carrying Architeuthis mantle chunks in their maws like big bits of - well, frankly, like when dolphins at marine-themed amusement parks are swimming about with loligo in their beaks. Bon appetit!

Well, par for the course, the Canadian Discovery channel was too busy last night showing 7 consecutive episodes of American Chopper to break for some squid news. :mad: And as the Canadian website is almost completely useless, I don't know when I'll be able to see Steve. *tear*
Usually its not a problem, when something is on in the States its on up here, but I guess when it really counted they decided to switch it. Well, here's hoping we get it some time soon!

Cheers!

That's horribly depressing. I always have extra faith in Canada. Sorry you were let down. Although - I might add - I'd love to se the American Chopper crew do a ceph-themed chopper.

It would probably be awesome.

Erich

The bike would probably be pretty sweet looking. I just can't bring myself to discuss Discovery's new line-up anymore. Really they should change the name to "Discovery for Dummies"! I think it's got promise!

Cheers

I can only but read and feel jealous. When/if it is ever shown over here I expect it'll be hacked up as usual. Fingers crossed.

Actually Steve, I thought you came off very well in this documentary, even if some very interesting segments weren't included.

The dubbing of the Japenese was wooden - too bad, that kind of voice takes the speakers personality away.

But despite its shortcomings, the documentary is worth seeing!

As for the hair, well, your very style is being featured in all the back-to-school ads as the latest, cool way to look :smile:

Nancy

There were a lot of things wrong with it, ( I just kind of ignored the crummy animation) but learning how they decided where to shoot, and seeing how they got the shots, the whales, and most of all, the pics of the giant squid made all of the failings worth it. I do wish there had been a lot more footage from NZ. It really should have been a 2 hr. special. They had to leave out too much good stuff. By the way Steve, I think half white beards and a tousled mop are sexy!

Nancy said:
As for the hair, well, your very style is being featured in all the back-to-school ads as the latest, cool way to look :smile:
Before you know it we'll be dancing in the streets to Neil Diamond again!

sorseress said:
"By the way Steve, I think half white beards and a tousled mop are sexy!" and "I just kind of ignored the crummy animation"
:wink:. Re the animation, was it of a GS dangling its tentacles, clasping a fish and then lunging forward to restrain it, and another piece with a whale chomping on a squid, pointy end down the gullet first? I saw the Japanese version (all 2 hours of it) and noted these two sequences (if we are talking the same thing). Ku was not that happy with them either (they are from the original Japanese production), and stressed that he had not been consulted by the animators. The animation certainly was not as good as normal, but I was absolutely riveted to the screen, because these two sequences most clearly showed what I have been trying to get across to animators for years (and they then go off and do their own thing). It would have been better to have used stick figures/line drawings than to have tried realistic colour ... but themz the breaks.

naughty Canadian lad said:
"Discovery for Dummies"! I think it's got promise!
You should read some of the comments on the Discovery Channel website (feedback); you are not alone! Series-driven programming; that's where it is at today. It's a ratings game. I sincerely believe there is a demand for a new, dedicated natural history channel!

.... I have no idea when it airs here (NZ), if it does. We're doing yet another cursed shark week, closely followed by American Chopper ....

we're also having a shark week, not on Discovery, mind you.

..nothing to contribue here, hav't and will not likely see it in the next decade or so unless I can get it online...free. Sigh, the joys of having no online credit and living in far away places.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back