Hi Olaf,ob said:Any more info on the spermwhales having an archifest at the surface, Adam?
There were five standout underwater shots, I thought:
1. Physeter swimming towards camera whilst rolling to show a full, big squid mantle pinched between the jaws, perpendicular to the whales long axis. The tail still has rust colored skin on it, but the rest of the mantle has been abraded white and is remarkably translucent. Whale almost looks like he's showing it off.
2. Pod of cachalots at the surface, oriented noses up, jockeying for pieces of a big squid carcass. Caught a glimpse of what might have been arms being flung around, but it might have been viscera, too.
3. Snorkeler (Mori? Ku?) approaching large portion of mantle at the surface. Again, chromatophores still present on the tail fins. This mantle appeared to have been severed at the posterior/anterior halfway point, and looks to have been from a big gs.
4. Detailed shot of cachalot with what look like two full, recently inflicted Architeuthis club stamps under the left eye. (That reminds me, have there been records of sperm whales that were likely blinded by squid hits?)
5. Brief shot of another sperm whale swimming towards the camera to show what look like two large, beak-inflicted wounds on the nose. The wounds are deep, very clean-edged and elliptical. From the proximity of the shot to the unheralded Mesonychoteuthis CGI, I'd guess that someone thinks the wounds might be Messie's signature. Was that on the lost Face-Off episode?
If this show is ever on iTunes I'd buy it just to be able to pore over these shots. The pod nipping at the carcass is a jaw-dropper, and I may have said an oath, too.