New Cuttlefish Journal

Since that point, #1 has remained in its floating container, and #2 continues to do well in the main tank. Over the last couple weeks I have been pretty disheartened about the cuttle project after all that has happened :sad:
But since #1 is nearly adult size and both cuttles are feeding well on frozen, this morning I decided to try turning it loose in the tank to see what would happen. #1 and #2 showed no reaction to each other, and both of them just sat in opposite corners of the tank. Both ate a couple frozen shrimp off of skewers and continued to ignore each other.
It was while I was taking some pictures of #1 cruising around the tank, I noticed something strange in the background.

Attachments

• conv_294144.jpg
    conv_294144.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 101
  • conv_294145.jpg
    conv_294145.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 95
  • conv_294146.jpg
    conv_294146.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 68
EGGS!!!

Yep, in the background were about 10 cuttle eggs!!!:bugout:
That was the last thing I expected to see at this point. So I guess my original theory was wrong, and #3 was actually a female all along!
The eggs are very small, and they were not there last night, so I am assuming they are freshly laid. All look good so far :cool2:

So after this I finally have my OWN bandensis eggs. I am unbelievably excited :mrgreen:
I still don't know the sex of #1, but now I am hoping for male :wink:
I don't know if a female can lay multiple clutches of eggs from a previous mating, but I am definitely going to keep my eye out for more eggs...Hopefully one way or another, more eggs will be coming soon!

Wow - fights to the death, secret relations, unknown genders - This is better than a soap opera!

Thank you for continuing to share your experiences. It's really quite fascinating to see pictures of and read about your cuttlefish adventures.

Keep 'em coming!

Thanks--glad you are enjoying the adventures! My time working with bandensis has definitely had its ups and downs, but finally getting eggs from them is a major step in the right direction :smile:
I am going to try to be better with the updates, too...:tongue:

amazing how different peoples experiences are.

Are let all mine loose into my 6footer ( just shy of ) when they were at 2".

Ive seen them all hang out together with no signs of aggression, BUT, had very little interaction with them. in fact, when they were in the floating container they spent alot of time inking at me.

great write up :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back