• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New cuttle hatchling..8-)

jtrasap

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hey all. I just had my first cuttlefish hatch out this morning. I have a couple of questions. Are they always a bit clumsy at swimming when they first hatch out? and, there looks to be a leg or tentacle sticking out of the egg that he hatched from last night. Is it possible that there is another cuttle in the same egg getting ready to hatch as well? twins?

Bandensis...or at least they are supposed to be.

This is the best pic I could get of them at the moment

dsc00675.jpg

Your picture has a strange resemblance to mine :wink:
I received four Bandensis eggs yesterday. None have hatched yet, but FWIW mine appear very similar to yours.

Attachments

• conv_293927.jpg
    conv_293927.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 88
:biggrin2:....Yes it does!! I received mine yesterday morning. One had hatched in transit and was DOA and the heat pack was not working so they were very cold but so far the one that hatched last night or this morning is still alive and swimming.

Day three and still swimming....:biggrin2:.....but still hasn't eaten yet. Is it normal for them not to have eaten by day three? Also....I should be getting my new camera in the next few days so I'll have some better pics. The previous pic was taken with my phone.

jtrasap;133510 said:
Day three and still swimming....:biggrin2:.....but still hasn't eaten yet. Is it normal for them not to have eaten by day three?

Yes its pretty normal, Some will go up to a week while they live off the yolk sack they are born with. Are you counting the shrimp you put in? It might just be eating at night.

Octopus_Reef;133516 said:
Yes its pretty normal, Some will go up to a week while they live off the yolk sack they are born with. Are you counting the shrimp you put in? It might just be eating at night.

I think he has now eaten...:biggrin2:..I put three shrimp in, turned my back for a few seconds and looked back and he has moved to a different spot and there looks to be one less shrimp.

Hey Tracy, about replacing the little DOA cuttle, I'll probably be ordering some more from you in the near future if you plan on getting them in fairly regularly. You can just throw an extra in with my next order if that works. I figure it's kinda pointless to just ship one.

It looks like the little one that hatched this morning didn't make it through the first day...:sad:.... The other one seems to be doing good though. I'm pretty sure that he ate again today.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back