New Book on Ceph Evolution--Seeking Input!

Danna

Blue Ring
Registered
Fantastic! I look forward to seeing this book published! It should of course include my favorite cephalopods, the externally shelled ones :wink: A few of the stories it should tell include the great Ordovician diversification, the appearance of the ammonoids, the appearance of the Coleoids, and the appearance of the octopods. And if it could answer the question of what ammonoids really looked like, that would be wonderful.

Again, I look forward to seeing your book, and thank you for writing it.

Thank you! An excellent set of stories indeed. I'm curious what "the appearnce of the octopods" would mean to most people--stem-group forms like Pohlsepia, or more modern octopuses? It has been so fun (and so complicated) to dig into the debate over the "early gladius-bearing coleoids"...

Danna

Blue Ring
Registered
I just came across this abstract (Dealing with Difference: Using the Osteobiographies of a Woman with Leprosy and a Woman with Gigantism from Medieval Poland to Identify Practices of Care) in my on-going Google Scholar scan and it occurred to me to suggest a chapter on cephs as homeopathic medicine.

Hmm, that is intriguing! I have already included some mention of fossil cephs used as medicine (e.g. ground-up belemnite dust blown into the eyes to treat "soreness of the eyes" which seems just a tiny bit counterproductive) so I could potentially expand that.

P.S. to everyone: sorry for my silence over the weekend! Family descended and I wasn't able to scuffle my way out to a computer.