[Octopus]: New Bimac

Quick update:

Marty has been doing great. I know when he’s hungry because he’ll come out of his cave and up to the front glass 😂. If you tap on the glass lightly he’ll move his arms around. Usually if he’s just exploring he’ll wander off and away from the glass when you approach.

I’ve been mostly feeding him frozen shrimp. Sometimes I’m in a rush, I’ll just drop it in and after a few seconds, he’ll recognize that it’s food and comes out to get it haha. Work smarter not harder.

Fed him a live clam today. He didn’t originally identify it as food like he does with shrimp, but he came out to check it out and once his first arm touched it, he immediately grabbed it to eat. Around 0:20, you can hear his beak. video link: Marty Eating Clam

I’ve had Marty since mid July. How much more time should I be expecting at this point?
F04D62AD-CABD-4555-8B83-4828A851A697.jpeg

nice pic! And video - I did hear the beak! Hank is looking great! (or is it Marty?? :lol:)

Bimacs live mayyybe 18 months but rare to go longer than 1 year in a home tank... You got him in July, and remarked that he was surprisingly big (despite being labeled as "small" by @Tomh)... so it may be likely that he was alive a couple+ months when you got him.

nice pic! And video - I did hear the beak! Hank is looking great! (or is it Marty?? :lol:)

Bimacs live mayyybe 18 months but rare to go longer than 1 year in a home tank... You got him in July, and remarked that he was surprisingly big (despite being labeled as "small" by @Tomh)... so it may be likely that he was alive a couple+ months when you got him.
WHOOPS…good catch. Yes this individual is Hank 😂.

Thank you for the life span breakdown. Seems like I still have a good chunk of time with Hank still.

He rejected some frozen shrimp last night after I fed him a live clam. The other Manila clam is still uneaten in his tank. Maybe not hungry enough yet or he’s being a food snob now? 😂

Side note on tank mates:

There’s still a good number of ghost shrimp that are still alive in his tank even after 3-4 months. I’m sure he catches a few every once in a while. I remember reading a thread online about peppermint shrimp being able to successfully evade tank mate octopus, but could never really imagine it. I guess since Hank is a larger octopus, he doesn’t view them as worthwhile? Hank did eat two trochus snails that I threw in as an attempt to fight off film algae on the glass. I couldn’t imagine any shrimp long term with any of the dwarfs I have had.
I don’t mind it since they do help clean up any scrapes.

Attachments

• BACCF1BA-ECF8-4B76-B408-C6F74315EA68.jpeg
    BACCF1BA-ECF8-4B76-B408-C6F74315EA68.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Quick update: Hank is doing well. He wasn’t taking shrimp for a couple days for some reason. I was worried he was entering senescence.

Grabbed it off my acrylic rod and then threw it away. But he finally took some shrimp again today before I was going to try live clams.

I also realized today that the temp in my tank is closer ~60F, which makes more sense considering the basement temperature. My petco thermometer only read it at 70F 😂.

I will snap some photos tomorrow when the lights are on

Hank didn’t end up eating the market shrimp I gave him earlier. And he’s been hanging outside his cave for the past day or so.

I’m going to try some live foods tonight, but I think Hank might be entering senescence. He was pretty big when I got him initially and honestly never grew that much since July.

Will keep you guys updated if things change for the better or worst.
E3595A30-78FC-4817-9A76-5E77D8E572FE.jpeg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back