[Octopus]: New Bimac

sedna

Architeuthis
Staff member
I love that your family is getting into your octopus! Luckily everyone in my house love all of the many types of fish in the house, they’ve actually gotten a bit jaded about living with an octopus!

Hi you should be able to get him to eat thawed shrimp, silversides, clams on half shell. Small pieces. I use a feeding stick when feeding! Thanks

tkong

Blue Ring
Registered
I would recommend gut loading the shrimp before feeding. Shrimp (because they are so fast) can be energetically expensive to capture for the octopus, so the more nutritious the shrimp are, the better!

I gut load mine with powdered krill feed but pellets would probably work as well.

If you find the shrimp are repeatedly escaping your octopus, you could crush the tail of the shrimp to prevent them from jetting away and making them easier targets, but that may not be necessary.
Is gutloading beneficial if they are not eating whole?

tkong

Blue Ring
Registered
Update:

My apologies for not updating in a while. I caught covid towards the end of August and then work got super busy since a coworker got let go.

So my girlfriend ended up going with the name "Hank" after the octopus in finding dory haha. Hank has grown about 15-20%. His mantle hasn't gotten much bigger that I can tell, but his arms are definitely longer.

I've been consistently feeding frozen shrimp on a stick. At first, he would attack the stick even after grabbing the shrimp and wouldn't let go to the point where I had to let him have the stick and then take it out later after he was done playing with it. But has now learned that the stick is not the actual food 😂 .

I fed him a clam and he ate it the first time. But didn't eat the clam the second time I tried. Here is a video of Hank eating the clam the first time. Clam Feeding . He was jetting water over the shell. Not sure if this is normal or abnormal behavior.

Overall, Hank has finally become much more diurnal and when he is hungry sometimes, he will come out of his hiding whole to meet me at the front of the glass, so great to see that he is starting to associate me with food.

Will continue to add updates as Hank grows.

tkong

Blue Ring
Registered
A few things I forgot to include:

1. Does hunting prowess vary across individuals? I find that my wonderpus Marty is a much more patient and determined hunter than Hank. He is very deliberate and will slowly stalk 1-2” ghost shrimp and reattempts multiple times if he fails.

Hank, on the other hand, doesn’t really hunt the larger 3 inch ghost shrimp (a decent size meal I believe). He kinda half pounces or lazily throws an arm every once in a while when they come near him. Is the prey the issue? Haven’t had a chance to feed him any sort of live shore crab etc.

Just curious, because I don’t mind since he readily takes frozen foods with gusto so it’s honestly better for me cost wise.

2. Also, are larger octopuses more prone to inking? Has only happened twice and I have a big skimmer on the tank so it was no worries. But just something I have noticed. The tank is on the bottom of a rack system so I guess that could be attributing. I have been more mindful of making an effort to get low before approaching the tank so I don’t come over the top.

I’ve had a carribean dwarf species and my current wonderpus and both have never inked. My wonderpus doesn’t even get scared of me.

sedna

Architeuthis
Staff member
A few things I forgot to include:

1. Does hunting prowess vary across individuals? I find that my wonderpus Marty is a much more patient and determined hunter than Hank. He is very deliberate and will slowly stalk 1-2” ghost shrimp and reattempts multiple times if he fails.

Hank, on the other hand, doesn’t really hunt the larger 3 inch ghost shrimp (a decent size meal I believe). He kinda half pounces or lazily throws an arm every once in a while when they come near him. Is the prey the issue? Haven’t had a chance to feed him any sort of live shore crab etc.

Just curious, because I don’t mind since he readily takes frozen foods with gusto so it’s honestly better for me cost wise.

2. Also, are larger octopuses more prone to inking? Has only happened twice and I have a big skimmer on the tank so it was no worries. But just something I have noticed. The tank is on the bottom of a rack system so I guess that could be attributing. I have been more mindful of making an effort to get low before approaching the tank so I don’t come over the top.

I’ve had a carribean dwarf species and my current wonderpus and both have never inked. My wonderpus doesn’t even get scared of me.
1. There are differences in the hunting styles between species and individuals. I’ve had great luck with frozen foods- I live in Michigan, so live just isn’t always available. I have found that as my briareus age, they seem to prefer being stick fed with “fish counter” shrimp.

2. IME- inking is an individual thing. Some octos are just more easily spooked. We have hard wood floors, and when I started keeping octopuses we had lots more inking. I think my whole family has learned how to approach the tank more quietly, as it rarely happens anymore. But every so often I’ll get one that’s easy to panic and it’s “here we go again…” 🤣. You two should be able to get used to each other and the inking will subside.

Hadla

GPO
Registered
Haha yep! I’ve only seen my merc babies ink and it was so adorable! Olive inked once and freaked me out so I did a third of the water change cause I was worried. I’m going to run a skimmer when I get another abdopus or my first bimac to be safe

tkong

Blue Ring
Registered
Hi @tkong, any recent pics to share of Hank? It's been a while!
There’s a video in one of my last post but here are some photos from today! My apologies for the dirty glass, dealing with slight diatom outbreak from silicates from not the best rodi water from my LFS.

Pretty sure Hank is a female but she is putting on some additional size now😊

Attachments

• F83EFA62-D0D6-48B9-BFD5-76E06C9FDF66.jpeg
    F83EFA62-D0D6-48B9-BFD5-76E06C9FDF66.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • CC02CDE7-C223-4FED-B608-0DB4A9B21510.jpeg
    CC02CDE7-C223-4FED-B608-0DB4A9B21510.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5