New Baby octopus

SabrinaR;174299 said:
Better Baby picture.

Baby023.jpg

Great picture! In this one she looks enormous. Lovely little octopus.

Baby was out last night swimming all over the tank. I have one K4 in the tank which causes a great amount of flow, it is apparently so strong that she (is actually a he but I will continue to call her a she) is unable to fight the flow to move passed it. But that didnt stop her. She swam ALL over the tank (including in the high flow) which is really cool to watch. I like keeping these smaller octopuses in larger aquariums. Being able to watch them swim is almost like being in the ocean with them.

Diablo used to sit in front of the pump output, it looked as if his skin was going to slough off. It was an ugly sight but he seemed to like the "deep tissue" massage.
My Poe used to swim, she was little and in the 120, she'd swim and swim. I agree, watching them swim, is a sight to behold.
I am really happy to see she is doing well, how wonderful to get a hold of such a little one. I will not say young because we thought Aqua was. Is size an indication of age? I hope so with A. aculetus. :wink:

I wish size was an indicator lol it would be a whole lot easier for us that ways lol. I have noticed that most of my octopuses tend to do that (bask in the powerhead) when they are nearing the end of their lives. Almost all of them at one point or another have done it, the others I believe I just missed. You are right it looks painful. I wonder if they arent itchy. I know D has said that some of hers have "squished" themselves between her fingers... maybe thats for the same reason.

I wish she wasnt so skittish though. I remember HP would swim back and forth and back and forth... I would watch him for hours just dancing on the glass and over the rocks. I would have to say that people want just any old tank just so they can keep an octopus... but they dont know what they are missing when they cant see them swim.

O.briareus has been the most consistent with size and age but we have had small females brood so it is not reliable even with this species. About the only "for sure" is a blue eyed O.briareus since they lose the blue somewhere around a month and at that size you CAN use size as an age indicator.

DWhatley;175007 said:
O.briareus has been the most consistent with size and age but we have had small females brood so it is not reliable even with this species. About the only "for sure" is a blue eyed O.briareus since they lose the blue somewhere around a month and at that size you CAN use size as an age indicator.

Well that's helpful...not!

Seeing as we seldom see 1 month old O.briareus unless we are able to raise them as you did.
Too bad there is no reliable way to tell their age, would make our lives a little easier.

Seeing as we seldom see 1 month old O.briareus unless we are able to raise them as you did.

We have actually seen two other, "blue eyed blondes" :biggrin2: CaptFish and Corpusse acquired them and Corpusse's was actually found in a LFS (albeit in Canada of all places). The problem with this species at this age though IS definitely the timidity until they are about 5 months old. If only I could find more like Monty ...

Its been a while since I updated anything about Baby. She isnt really doing so well to be honest. Her arms have been chewed up... either by her, a hermit crab or the power heads. I am unsure which. Her behavior is quite erratic and I dont believe she will live much longer. I have yet to see her eat since I put her in the tank almost a month ago. There are small crabs in the tank... she will grab at them but then lets them go. Its very sad to watch.

Oh no, so sorry to hear that! I imagine you've tried enticing her to eat by offering a variety of things? Are octopus known to self-mutilate?

Don't give up hope.... things can still turn around. :fingerscrossed:

Sue

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back