New Baby octopus

I just got a new octopus from Live Aquaria. It had inked in the bag just a little so I had to do a rush on the start of acclimation.

Its still acclimating now. Because it only inked a little bit I was able to just flush the bucket with tank water which cleared up the ink and allowed me to slow things down and give it the proper acclimation time it will need to relax and not be so stressed.

When I first got him there was no ink in the bag and he was quite active so I have hope that he will be ok once in the tank.

Size wise I would say his mantel is about 1.5 inches maybe, but I havent gotten a good look at him. Since the start was really rough I am gonna take the rest of the process really slow, maybe give it 4 hours.

LOL this makes 2 right now. I will be getting one other one from Joe-Ceph in a few days :biggrin2: I love keeping multiples. I am not sure on species yet though it does have horns. I am pretty sure it is either A. aculeatus or A. abaculus but I didnt see any of the standard stripe pattens that I saw with HP or Mystique so we will see. The only colors I have seen are solid brown and solid black lol.

This one is as small if not smaller than Mystique was when I first got her.

I did notices at least one arm has some damage to the tip. Maybe about 1/2 to 1 inch of the tip was missing.

Baby is eating. I put a fiddler in with her during acclimation and when I checked right now she is eating and seems ok so thats a BIG YAY! I actually think thats gonna be her name. I like it! :lol:

(I have no idea if she is in fact female- I simply like to refer to my octos as she-hope this doesnt cause any gender confusion for her :biggrin2:)

Baby is in the tank and hiding. This is the jumpiest octopus I have ever had. She inked in the bag... she inked when I put her in the tank. I worry that shes not going to fair to well in the tank that shes in. Its located in my living room and gets a lot of foot traffic.

Shes been hiding since I put her in so thats a good sign.

I can certainly relate to the difficulty in taking photos/videos and of not being able to find or see our new pets.

It's so frustrating trying to find my three little fry a few times a day. They are so tiny and can curl up and hide in the empty barnacle shells on the rock. Or inside an empty snail shell. Sure, I could remove that stuff to make it easier but I really want them to feel comfortable and have places to hide if that's what they need to do. But since they are so young I need to make sure they are still alive, hopefully thriving, and would love to see them actually eat something in front of me so I can have some peace of mind, so the search continues several times a day.

I spent a couple hours yesterday trying to get footage of them but holding the camera, a flashlight and sometimes a magnifying glass didn't produce any worthy results. Today one of the three was hanging out in a more open space for quite a while so hopefully as they get bigger and more comfortable with their surroundings we will see our cephs more? One can only hope!
Sue
P.S. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread

Yea I'm anticipating on what pieces to put in my tank already. I have at least 2 nice pieces in mind, but working on getting the hairline algae off without harming the actual life rock or Xenia type coral that is growing on it. The rock has a lot of branches on it. Kind of nubby like, and I've been at it with a toothbrush every month but it keeps coming back. I just don't want it to get out of hand, or cause some sort of algae bloom in the new tank. I had to take out all my crabs, purple lobster and snails, as the 6 line wrasse I have is kind of a bully. My purple lobster only has one arm now instead of 2, and he took half the legs off my big blue leg hermit crab. So their in there own separate tank now. Ever go to Red Lobster and tank one of those home? I used to say that all the time when Mat would take me out to eat there. I ended up seeing this Purple Lobster at our LFS one night and said oh hell he has to go in my tank. Beautiful looking. But he wouldn't last a min with an Octo in the tank. lol

Purple Lobster, Debelius' Reef Lobster - Enoplometopus spp.

I can't wait to see your photos. I love reading peoples journals on here, gives me butterflies just thinking about it. Can't wait to get my own baby. Trying to think of names now. I don't want to mimic anyone els's baby names. Nice to be unique.

Ever think of getting one of those clip on lights for books? Clip it to the front of the hat. It would at least free up a hand. My brother has a hat that has built in lights under the front rim. he uses it for night fishing. I laughed so hard when I seen it on him a few years ago. Now it's not so funny. Kind of interesting.

QueenB;173975 said:
Ever think of getting one of those clip on lights for books? Clip it to the front of the hat. It would at least free up a hand. My brother has a hat that has built in lights under the front rim. he uses it for night fishing. I laughed so hard when I seen it on him a few years ago. Now it's not so funny. Kind of interesting.

Actually my husband has some of those head lamps -- I should put one of those on and see if it makes life easier when searching for these little guys. Then again, the bright direct light might just spook them right back into their hiding spots.
Sue

I saw Baby tonight and man is she small! The name truly fits. She is still skittish and hid when my son tried to make nice with the tank lol. I tried to take pictures but I have no idea if they came out. They looked pretty blurred to me so I will have to see once I upload them.

Thank you for the congrats. I think shes precious and cant wait till I have good pics to share.

I think I will try to feed her a shrimp tonight. Who knows I might get lucky. :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back