• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New babies

Found two heads this morning :smile:

I'm a little worried about Paradox's comment about sick cuttles becoming a clear. Even my healthy ones seem to occasionally turn translucent to the point that you can see the cuttlebone.

Dan

what ive noticed with the clear skin teture is that they stay like this all the time when they are weak. Most of the healthy ones wil seem to react when I go walk over the and look down intot he net. They usually will have a slight flash of red for a moment. The sick ones that Ive observed will not react at all, not move or eat, and are a really transparent color.

In the adults, they stay white and often rest in spots that I wouldnt normally see them.

Do your babies react by color changing at all?

Some of them change more than others. If I go over to the tank they generally don't respond. If they spot some food they might change color a little bit, or they might just be in a colorful mood. I would say 60% of the time they're that translucent white color.

I'm quite sure my sick one won't be with me much longer. I just came across a small shrimp chewing on his arms. I took out the shrimp, but I don't know if he'll be able to eat again.

Dan

Yeah, he's circling the drain, so to speak.

The other ones seem pretty good today, though. Immediately after I said they spend most of their time white, they decided to stay a darker color.

I am having a bit of a food crisis. My mysids are gone already and the cuttles aren't eating the shore shrimp consistently. I spent the evening at the beaches and tidepools but couldn't find any critters. Tonight I fed them tank amphipods, and I believe I'll be able to do that until Thursday when my next batch comes in.

I'm debating whether to order more mysids or get amphipods because the mysids cannibalize so fast, even with regular feedings.

Dan

RIP Sneezey

He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one, and we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings. Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most human.

kirk_spock.jpg

Well, my first food crunch is over! The hundred mysids I originally bought didn't make it through last weekend, and my new shipment arrived today. Monday they ate all the amphipods I could find, but on Tuesday and Wednesday they shunned frozen mysids.

(I have an in-law who's job is creating supply and demand forecast models for jet engine parts--obviously supply chain management is not my talent!)

Of my four cuttles I have two that are noticeably larger. One of the smaller ones seems to be hanging out near the top like Sneezy was doing. He changes colors and goes after food like the others, but he was a bit slow to the punch and missed out on most of this morning's feeding. I will probably separate him into another breeder like Paradox mentioned to make sure he gets food.

Dan

I have one like that, Baby A. One day she missed the shrimp twice and then was too embarrassed (or defeated...) to try again, she refused to eat for a day and then the next day, caught the shrimp on the first try. She is with Cuddly so I am keeping an eye on her to make sure she gets her share... It is a good thing that Scrunchy is in her own net breeder or no one else would get any food!!! I have seen her take two shore shrimp within 15 minutes. She is definitely bigger than the other two.

They can grow at very different rates because of thier ability to get food. As adults from the same batch, the largest reached 3 inches while the smallest at the same time was 1.5 inches..

Seperation is the best option when they are young and competing for food.

I have seen birth defects as well. Such as blindness in one eye that at one time swelled up to the size of a marble to later deflate.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back