New Arrival

lockburn said:
If he's anywhere, he is most likely in the live rock which is filled with nooks and crannies for him to hide. My only concern though is whether or not he is eating. I've stocked the tank with some amphipods and a few clams to make sure if he comes out he'll be able to feed.

I don't think you'll ever see him again. Well, you will see him when he wants you to, ie, when he comes out! If mine, as little as he is, was in my live rock I wouldn't find him with a fine-toothed comb.

If you're worried about feeding, maybe you should use a dish to put clams in, like Nancy suggested I do--that way you can keep track of how much he's eaten and not worry about clams burrowing away.

Dan

Ohhh congrats on your baby Dan!!! I hope that he does better than mine did... By the way, the Space Pope episode was on cartoon network the other night, did you see? Hehe

Octopuses are very skilled at making themselves almost invisible. I had to sit in front of my tank for a long time (maybe even 1/2 hour) before I could spot my bimac. Sometimes I couldn't see her at all. I'd look for an eye, or a slight movement. I had to develop my "octopus eyes"! So the fact that you can't see your little bimac doesn't mean he's not there. Not finding your little octo is something all octo owners go through - who said owning an octopus wasn't stressful!!

Nancy

dawnchihuahua said:
Ohhh congrats on your baby Dan!!! I hope that he does better than mine did... By the way, the Space Pope episode was on cartoon network the other night, did you see? Hehe

We have a TIVO, which means not only did I see it, but I saw it a number of times!

Dan

Well, its been about 3 days and I've seen no sign of my octo. I did have clams in a small dish, but didn't see that any were consumed. So, I took the high tech approach and monitored the tank with a time lapse camera. For the past 36 hours I haven't seen any octo movement. I got real excited one time when I saw a critter scoot across the sand, only to find out it was a hermit crab.

The tank is sealed to make it difficult to escape. He would have had a few hours in the beginning to escape through the overflow strainer (I've since covered that with a sponge). Just in case, I checked my refugium and found no sign of the guy as well. I also searched outside the tanks in case he somehow made it out.

No other inhabitants could have eaten the guy (I had two small hermits in there as a 'gift' for when he gets big enough). Tank parameters were good, and the tank has cycled for over 4 months.. :cry:

Hope the little bugger's ok...at this point, you just have to sit back and wait...tearing around the tank anymore would probably be counter-productive....
fingers crossed here!
greg

yeah, good call Greg,

Now is a good time to be subtle and just let the wee guy come out on his own

No, no sightings yet. I was ready to give up and call him officially lost, but then I read a post by another member who had the same problem.

Stevesfish had a post: where he lost Bob on about May 14th and then another where Bob is back! on May 23rd , so this has given me new hope.

He searched all of the live rock and was 'positive' his octo was lost. Then a few days later he miracously appeared! So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed as well.

I wonder if I should put out some fresh scallops or shrimp to entice him...

Oh, and I saw some amphipod 'skeletons'. I'm not sure if they molt like shrimp, or if the octopus will eat them and discard the shell, etc. If so, maybe this is proof he is in there somewhere!

I'll have to start up the time lapse again.

Hi Lockburn,

Don't give up yet. Yes, put some food out, but if he has plenty of amphipods, he may go for those. He could be hiding out on the backside of your live rock.

Amphipods do molt and leave their shell - I suppose octos don't eat the outer shell, either.

We're all hoping he turns up again,

Nancy

A small filosus i had would eat amphipods and discard the exoskeletons so it could be a good sign that the octo is still there... tying a small shrimp to a bit of fishing line and dangling it about at the front might entice it out?

C

Well, its been almost a week, and I still have had no positive sighting yet.

I did put in a raw shrimp I bought from the grocery store today. My red serpent star immediately came out of the rock to grab a piece, but I didn't see the octo.

On the time lapse video I did see something move about one of the tank decorations. It was in the back, and not in focus, so I couldn't positively ID it. I would have thought it to be a hermit crab, if I hadn't removed all of them already (to avoid confusion with the time lapse). It could have been a large amphipod. It didn't really look like an octo, but then again, it wasn't in focus and didn't look like anything but a dark blob. But, something was definately there and moving. So, I've repositioned the camera and am hoping to get another glimpse of whatever it was.

-Warren

Dude...Jaques Cousteau has nothing on you!!! I sure hope the octo is ok, and just being shy...I envy your ability to be high tech! wow!
greg

Hehe, thanks Greg, needed that laugh! I'll have to upload some of the time lapses when I get a chance. It's pretty wild to watch the star, shrimp, and hermits cruise around the tank. I'm pretty sure the 'blob' in the last video was a large amphipod, not my dear octo. But, I'm still watching. It's a week since I last saw him, but I'm still trying to keep my hopes up.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back