New arrival- not looking good

sedna

Architeuthis
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
FedEx dropped off an octo (briareus) from Tom today at 1pm. The excitement I felt as I opened the box immediately turned to concern from the first glance. Larger than I'd hoped for, and very pale with rapid respiration but still alive. I noticed a dark vein on the top of it's mantle, above the eyes, but couldn't get a pic because it rolled over to hide it's mantle in it's webbing. It took the same pose in the acclimation bucket. I gave it a mug to hide in but it wouldn't go for it. I'm not sure how cold the water was when it got here, but after 3 hours the pH matched and the temp was as good as it was going to get, I scooped it up with the mug and placed it in the tank. It's color pinked up a bit, but then it rolled over in the mug, webbing pulled back over it's body, arms are sucker side out and trailing behind it. Looks just like an octopus in a fish market on ice... Hard to keep my fingers crossed when I've had this much experience with what a dying octopus looks like.

Sedna, again I am so sorry to hear yours is not doing well. I think the stress of the cold and elevated SG is the reason for this. I contacted Tom, did you? I wonder who got the 3rd one. Keep us posted, I am going to hold out hope even though I can see where this may be going.

Thanks, ob. As I posted on that thread, I know that this is all part of the risk of shipping live animals, but this seems like an odd coincidence for 3 in one day. Maybe Tom didn't realize how much colder it is where these animals were being shipped to. But again, I feel fairly confident in my experience at this point to say the animal I received does not look like it was the healthiest to begin with... The skin on it's mantle looks like it's about to split, and again there is that "vein" on the mantle- not on any previous briareus I've had. Sometimes that's just the luck of the draw, I guess.

I made note of our weather being below freezing and requested a heater. I just took it for granted the box would be insulated. I learned a lesson, never take anything for granted. This has been a bad day. Still hoping for you!

Well, it's official, it died. I took some pics (I'll post when husband isn't using that computer) and you can see where it's skin was peeling off it's legs, and the "vein" or maybe tear in the skin on it's mantle. I'll contact Tom and let him know, but I don't really expect a refund (I just want another octo) as it did arrive alive...

post mortem photos

Well, here are the only photos I got of this octopus. The first one is after I finally put it in the tank. From the moment I took the bag out of the box, it balled up like that, so I couldn't get a photo of the strange mark on the mantle. When I took it out after it had died, it looked more like the skin was about to split. In the third picture you can see that the skin was also damaged or sloughing off on the body and some arms. I have e-mailed these photos and a note to Tom, I'll keep you all up to date on what happens. I know we all take risks when buying marine animals and in no way am I bashing Tom! It's just unusual to have a day like this! I am again GRATEFUL to Tonmo and the Tonmo community, because without it, this evening I would be feeling guilty and sad and thinking it was just me.

Attachments

• conv_297444.jpg
    conv_297444.jpg
    510.9 KB · Views: 82
  • conv_297445.jpg
    conv_297445.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 94
  • conv_297446.jpg
    conv_297446.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 85
Tom has contacted me and will replace the animal at no cost, I will pay for shipping and an upgraded box! I'm very happy with that. I should be getting the new arrival on Thursday. You can bet I'll keep you all up to date!

Sedna I am sorry to hear that. And yes i am the third. But i guess i got lucky and managed to get mine warmed up and acclimated fast enough that he has not passed away as of yet and looks to be in fairly good condition but ill keep you updated.

The photo reminds me of O. mercatoris usual posture with arms around head and one eye peeking. The poor little thing is so stresssed.
The black is splits in the skin? Looks almost like ink.
I am so happy you are getting a replacment. I look forward to Thursday, lets keep our figers and toes crossed!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back