New arrival- not looking good

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
FedEx dropped off an octo (briareus) from Tom today at 1pm. The excitement I felt as I opened the box immediately turned to concern from the first glance. Larger than I'd hoped for, and very pale with rapid respiration but still alive. I noticed a dark vein on the top of it's mantle, above the eyes, but couldn't get a pic because it rolled over to hide it's mantle in it's webbing. It took the same pose in the acclimation bucket. I gave it a mug to hide in but it wouldn't go for it. I'm not sure how cold the water was when it got here, but after 3 hours the pH matched and the temp was as good as it was going to get, I scooped it up with the mug and placed it in the tank. It's color pinked up a bit, but then it rolled over in the mug, webbing pulled back over it's body, arms are sucker side out and trailing behind it. Looks just like an octopus in a fish market on ice... Hard to keep my fingers crossed when I've had this much experience with what a dying octopus looks like.

Sedna, again I am so sorry to hear yours is not doing well. I think the stress of the cold and elevated SG is the reason for this. I contacted Tom, did you? I wonder who got the 3rd one. Keep us posted, I am going to hold out hope even though I can see where this may be going.

sedna

Staff member
Thanks, ob. As I posted on that thread, I know that this is all part of the risk of shipping live animals, but this seems like an odd coincidence for 3 in one day. Maybe Tom didn't realize how much colder it is where these animals were being shipped to. But again, I feel fairly confident in my experience at this point to say the animal I received does not look like it was the healthiest to begin with... The skin on it's mantle looks like it's about to split, and again there is that "vein" on the mantle- not on any previous briareus I've had. Sometimes that's just the luck of the draw, I guess.

I made note of our weather being below freezing and requested a heater. I just took it for granted the box would be insulated. I learned a lesson, never take anything for granted. This has been a bad day. Still hoping for you!

sedna

Staff member
Well, it's official, it died. I took some pics (I'll post when husband isn't using that computer) and you can see where it's skin was peeling off it's legs, and the "vein" or maybe tear in the skin on it's mantle. I'll contact Tom and let him know, but I don't really expect a refund (I just want another octo) as it did arrive alive...

I'm very sorry.

Now as far as the fault...There is something odd going on here. I would think Tom would realize something had gone very wrong when he hears from so many people that there was a problem.