kpage

Wonderpus
Registered
Aculeatus
Mantle: about 1.5-2in
Arms: 7-8in? (only got a quick look
Acclimation time:1hr
pH(shiping water): 7.5-7.6

Ok so I got another octo from live aquaria and noticed at once that this octo was much healthier! He was much bigger and was very calm and curious throughout acclimation. He wasn't breathing heavy and was not curling his arms like the last one. He actually popped up a couple times to the top to get a look at me! I fed him some thawed shrimp and could feel how strong he/she was!(later I discovered that he didn't really get to eat the shrimp because I soon moved him into my tank)

I had a bit of trouble transferring him from the bag to the tank and in the end I had to coax him out with my hand. I didn't need to touch him because he seemed to get what was going on pretty fast and quickly got out. I never got to see the transition, I would look away for a second and then he would be a different color.

I noticed the color changing for the first time! My last octo didn't ever change color, however this guy changed colors several times! In the bag he was a nondescript light brown, then he turned a dark brown/speckled white while in the early stages of transferring him, the a solid white (:bugout: danger color!! luckily it was only for a second) and then a solid dark brown when he finally got out of the bag.

Anyway he is scoping out the hiding spots as we speak (also different from the other octo which went right to the top) with the light off. I have a pepperment shrimp in there if he gets hungry. Im pretty sure he's good and will be alive and well in the morning! I didn't get many pics, but I will when I can! He seems to be full grown, but he is changed colors very fast and frequently so I think he still has a little while. I read that octos don't change as much as they get old. Another note is that he seems very curious and went about exploring the new surroundings instead of hiding. I might have to take that into account when coming up with a name... Anyway one more to put on the list D!:biggrin2:

oh, one more thing. My pH in the tank was a little low, it should be around 8.4 right? I think I'll just go to the store and get some buffer..

Im actually thinking that its a she, since she isn't curling her 3rd arm constantly. I'm using a drop and match color test. Its weird because I've had my tank at 8.2 pretty consistently since I set it up. Its been set up since july 18.

Thanks Lmecher they are so cool! good to see another chicagoan too!!

Your pH can vary during the day, falling lower at night when the lights are off.

If your octopus seems OK, that's a good sign. Aim for 8.2-8.4.

Nancy

Whatever you do, don't go chucking a bunch of buffer in the tank. If you monitor it for a few days and it is staying low, you may want to mix some to your top off water and slowly bring it up. I have to continually buffer my water so everything coming from the RO unit gets buffer a day or more before it goes into the tank. If you need it, I recommend SeaChem's Reef buffer and to avoid the similarly named buffer by Kent. Others may have different observations for their water but I have found the Kent buffer falls out of solution (if it ever goes into solution) badly and mucks up my pumps much worse than the Seachem.

Ok well she is settling in very nicely! :biggrin2: She came out all next morning and did some wonderful color changing! My dad came in to look at her and she retreated back to a rock before crawling slowly back to check him out. Having decided that he was ok she went back to the glass!:lol:

My shrimp is gone, she was hungry and the first thing I noticed was what was left of him! I gave her some thawed shrimp, which she grabbed and settled down to eat for about 20 min. Then she moved to her den and left the shrimp outside. It didn't like she ate any of it, but she had it in her mantle for a while. Maybe she did, I gave her a piece about the size of her mantle. She didn't come out of her den for the rest of the day, but I noticed that she blew out all the sand in her den for more room and she also blocked up an entrance she didn't like!

Whats the feeding rule of thumb, 1/2 mantle size per day?

anyway I'm going to get some pvp pipe for some tunnels and some legos for her to play with. Here are some photos, sorry for the quality!

Attachments

• conv_294787.jpg
    conv_294787.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 78
  • conv_294788.jpg
    conv_294788.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 75
  • conv_294789.jpg
    conv_294789.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 109
  • conv_294790.jpg
    conv_294790.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 107
Ok well I have decided to name her Curla Fuzzy! She is pretty hilarious and curious so she needed an upbeat name! She comes out more seldom now, usually around 5 and then in and out of her den till I go to bed, which is perfect because then I get to see her when I'm home from school. She blew out all of the sand in her den for more room and used it to block a front entrance. Later she decided that she wanted that entrance so she made a little hole. Then she got a piece of rock to block up another hole she didn't like, but then changed her mind again- so indecisive!

She has no problem with frozen shrimp and takes it right away. The other day she grabbed it and the wooden stick and wouldn't let go! I tried to coax her arm off with a finger but she just curled the tip of her arm around it- I could feel her sucking it! I got my finger away and left her to eat her food with 1 arm up holding the stick for about half an hour!:roflmao:

I plan on getting some live food one I find out where. I'd prefer something local as oppose to ordering online. Also I need to get some legos for toys. Any other toy ideas?

Attachments

• conv_294797.jpg
    conv_294797.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 80
  • conv_294798.jpg
    conv_294798.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 79
Well its been a month since I've had her and I'm sorry to say she is laying eggs. :cry: She has been awesome, coming out everyday when I get home from school, letting me touch her and having no problem showing off for my friends! After I gave her some live fiddlers she decided that she didn't want the frozen shrimp anymore. After a couple days of playing chicken I gave in and got some crabs.:lol: She had a pretty tight schedule for a while.

Now sadly she is holed up in her den. She doesn't come out at all anymore and she has every small rock, shell and coral piled in front of the entrance. Since I have only had her for a month I'm wondering if these eggs can possibly be fertile. I know that Aculeatus octos are small egged and that raising the eggs is next to impossible, but I would still like to give it a shot. Is there any info or tips you guys could give me?

Unfortunately, it's impossible to raise small egged species in a smaller home aquarium (they need tanks that are 200+ gal. with a circular current, etc). Knowing I can't talk you out of trying (I try every time)- start by reading my threads on "Raising Octopus from Eggs" forum. Good luck! Even if it is next to hopeless, it's one heck of a rush to wake up and find 100= babies the size of a grain of rice cruising around the tank!

Well I'm sorry to say that I haven't been on this site fore a while, this new update is taking some getting used to. Curla has since passed away. I found her dead in the middle of my tank, so she came out of her den before she died. I couldn't find any eggs, which was rather odd since she was clearly brooding. I thought they lay eggs even if they aren't fertile..?
She was the coolest and I'm glad I had the time I did!

:angelpus:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back