New Aculeatus(?) Journal - Octopus Prime!

Octopus Prime seems to have returned to normal since i started a slightly more vigorous water changing regimen, with the exception of some general changes in his behavior overall. I am thinking that this may just coincide with his reaching full maturity.

I have also been trying give him more intellectual stimulation. He is not really interested in toys or objects i place near him, but he almost always enjoys a few fingers to explore or his old feeding stick to hold onto. Usually if he is looking gloomy, i will offer him one of those things to interact with, and by the time he loses interest, he seems back to his old explorative self.

The hectocotilus (sp?) has definitely made itself evident, and I have seen a lot more male 'skunk-stripe' displays since that point as well, though they usually only last a moment or two.

I also see Prime spending a lot more time traversing the rockwork. While he used to spend almost all of his time crawling around the side panel of the glass nearest my desk and the outside of the room, he now seems to enjoy crawling around the live rock a lot more, with his arms splaying out (sort of flexing) then wrapping around a close piece of rock (sort of a hugging gesture), and then exploring the crevaces with his arms. this behavior is also accompanied by more dynamic color displays. Today i saw him flashing in waves, like the cuttlefish 'passing clouds' display, but with only one or two waves at a time. This was very cool to see. He seemed to be hunting the straggling mysid shrimp or some other critters in and about the rock.

The other day i saw him sort of splayed out along the sand and he started pushing his arms into the sand bed and wiggling them around in the substrate (think loch ness monster humps). i couldnt figure it out.

Also i have noticed him brushing the outside and inside of his mantle with his arms a lot more often.

To the Aculeatus experts: any insights into these behavioral shifts?

On a final, unnerving note (that i have been putting off,) this shift back to normalcy is something of a mixed blessing. My apartment lease ends in June and it has been slowly becoming clear that Octopus Prime will outlive it. I have been talking to many of my friends about inheritting him, but only a few have experience keeping a SW tank, and none of them are currently running setups. I am waiting to hear back from a few friend's friends who may have cycled tanks already set up, but otherwise only one person has offered to become Prime's gaurdian after i have to leave, and he doesnt have a tank set up so i would need to move mine over to his house, no doubt causing a lot of die-off and a spike. Therefore, before it comes down to that, i would like to reach out the the community here. For anyone in the Central Mass area, there may be a free-to-a-good-home, but very mature Aculeatus becoming available this month. please let me know if youre responsible and interested.

Happy to hear he's doing better. I now have some problems of my own with my octo tank ! Octopus okay tank not so good.

Prime's behavior parallels Octane's to a T, including the stripe display, flashing and rock hugging. I swear I saw Octane put an arm up through his siphon! I have wondered if his desire to be massaged (a nightly routine) is because or started because his skin itches and if they shed skin cells other than on their suckers. I know (as much as that is possible - I know location of origin and his arms are too short and tapered) Octane is not an Aculeatus and is classified Octopus, not Adopus but the patterning and behavior are so similar it makes you wonder about relationships.

If you have no other alternative, I can take him and would pay for shipping but I worry about the heat and stress (Octane was older and still shipped stressed but OK. I would recommend a jar with holes placed in a large bag of water with oxygen if you have to go that route), hopefully someone closer will materialize. I would need to install a chiller on the tank (it gets too hot when octoproofed - not needed for the Mercs now in residence) so I would need a week's notice. I have a chiller that I can use on the tank but it has never been plumbed into the system.

i may need to take you up on that, d. I'll definitely let you know this week so there's fair warning.

does anyone have any input on the relative safety of a city move of the whole tank vs. a bag'n'ship move across the country?

HideNSeek was in the front barnacles tonight and will not likely live more than a week (I lost Medusa last night). I moved him to the smaller tank so that he cannot just disappear in case I need to make Prime a new home. I have lost two others in that tank and it never even hickupped but decided to move him anyway. When he goes, I will move LittleGirl and Wiley (assuming I can catch him - these are my CB Mercs) to the smaller tank. If push comes to shove and he lives longer than expected and Prime needs a home, I can put the breeder net in the 15 gallon but I don't think that is going to be necessary. My tank raised have done well but we are pushing the envelope for longevity at 14+ months and he is showing definite sesenence. The tank is scheduled to become a reef tank so that I can make the 140 a Vulgaris tank but there is no hurry and the 45 hex was designed for an octo when we built it out. Fortunately my first octo was a female Merc and the heat problem was easily solved with a fan in the sump and an open top. Prime would need the top closed but the chiller we had on our cold tank is available if he comes to stay :biggrin2:

Unfortunately, I don't know much about shipping octos. Both Trapper and Octane were shipped in plastic jars inside a plastic bag with oxygen. The jar had considerable holes for good circulation and giving the octo something solid to cling to while it was tossed about. Both octos survived shipping and remained healthy. Octane showed stress for a few days but I did not see Trapper during that period to make a call. The little guys I tried to bring back from Charleston traveled in a net with a plastic lid to keep the net from fully collapsing and were placed in a 5 gallon bucket of water with an air line but they did not make the trip home.

dwhatley;118339 said:
HideNSeek was in the front barnacles tonight and will not likely live more than a week (I lost Medusa last night). I moved him to the smaller tank so that he cannot just disappear in case I need to make Prime a new home. I have lost two others in that tank and it never even hickupped but decided to move him anyway. When he goes, I will move LittleGirl and Wiley (assuming I can catch him - these are my CB Mercs) to the smaller tank. If push comes to shove and he lives longer than expected and Prime needs a home, I can put the breeder net in the 15 gallon but I don't think that is going to be necessary. My tank raised have done well but we are pushing the envelope for longevity at 14+ months and he is showing definite sesenence. The tank is scheduled to become a reef tank so that I can make the 140 a Vulgaris tank but there is no hurry and the 45 hex was designed for an octo when we built it out. Fortunately my first octo was a female Merc and the heat problem was easily solved with a fan in the sump and an open top. Prime would need the top closed but the chiller we had on our cold tank is available if he comes to stay :biggrin2:

Unfortunately, I don't know much about shipping octos. Both Trapper and Octane were shipped in plastic jars inside a plastic bag with oxygen. The jar had considerable holes for good circulation and giving the octo something solid to cling to while it was tossed about. Both octos survived shipping and remained healthy. Octane showed stress for a few days but I did not see Trapper during that period to make a call. The little guys I tried to bring back from Charleston traveled in a net with a plastic lid to keep the net from fully collapsing and were placed in a 5 gallon bucket of water with an air line but they did not make the trip home.
Just curious about the chiller. How warm do your tanks get without it?

Redoc;118432 said:
Just curious about the chiller. How warm do your tanks get without it?

If the house is in the high 70's it went to 82. I never left the top locked after the first time since we realized it was not necessary for Trapper. With the Mercs, leaving an inch or so of air space and having a couple of inches of overlap across the top is enough to octo proof as they don't like air very much. I am not sure a straight sided tank would do it though as I have seen three of my males partially out of the water for a second or two. Octane's tank stays 80 or below but the sump has more air space and the fan is more effective (I also have a cascading filter that may help some) even though the tank is smaller. Sometimes I wonder if 'Tane's tank gets a little too warm when he acts strangely. A midweek water change has always solved the behavior and that may be because the water is slightly cooler (water tests show no problems).

Wow thats warm I can see why you would need the chiller. With no heat the highest I ever get is mid 70s ( thats feeder tanks ) I keep all my tanks at around 80.

Redoc;118458 said:
Wow thats warm I can see why you would need the chiller. With no heat the highest I ever get is mid 70s ( thats feeder tanks ) I keep all my tanks at around 80.

That's why I had to laugh when Cuttlegirl mentioned heaters as spare parts :wink: Big difference in where you live (also big difference in water even after RO/DI treatment). I am slightly higher (altitude) than Atlanta so we do get somewhat of a break in the worst of the heat but I keep Caribbean/warm water critters only with fans on all sumps. Our house is fairly large so the AC bill is astronomical (about $400/month additional). I keep a chiller on our reef and the available chiller was for my cold water tank (won't do that again). With this particular tank, the sump is inside a cabinet so even with two fans, the air cooling is minimized.

OP's New Home

After a lot of thought and help from TONMO members (Octopus Overnight Shipping (Octopus Prime's new home)), Octopus Prime was carefully ensconced in a modified critter keeper placed in three plastic bags nessled in newspaper inside a styrofoam cooler with a cold pack anchored to the lid, placed inside a cardboard box and shipped UPS Early Saturday delivery :biggrin2:. Due to a computer SNAFU, Mike was unable to contact me with the shipping info but Neal checked the front door on Sat AM and OP had safely arrived.

OP' Reacclimation

OP stressed a little during acclimation and entry to his new home (I finally had to coax him out of his critter keeper) but ate a shore shrimp on a feeding stick soon after being released to the tank and took another shore shrimp and a piece of Octane's frozen shrimp on Sunday (he may have killed a fiddler crab that was in the tank but did not eat it). Tonight he was quite active after midnight and came up and played with my hand for at least 5 minutes but did not want additional food.

Rethinking OP's identification

I don't believe OP is an aculeatus but do think he is one of the horridus species complex. Prime is tiny with a mantle size of about 3 cm (the length of Trapper's, my original very large female mercatoris). According to Norman, there are more than 10 different octos in this group with some undescribed and most are Australian (an unlikely import). Looking through Cephalopos, A World Guide, the closest in size and viable location would be the little known abaculus but the identifying mosaic of white spots is not noticably apparent (photo by Roy Caldwell). capricornicus would be a very good match except for location of origin and the observation that OP appears to be both day and night time active (that may change after he is more familiar with his new home).

gholland;119440 said:
Good deal!

I wish this one was a breedable dwarf. OP has already shown an interest in interacting (only with the ambient totally black and a red light on the tank though ... interesting) and is as graceful as a briarius when it swims.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back