New Aculeatus(?) Journal - Octopus Prime!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I'm really sad. I don't think the relocation was a major factor though.

I just went downstairs for a last confirmation and to remove OP from the tank. My knobby star had found its way into the breeder net and was doing his clean up work. I successfully keep the knobbies with the Mercs and Octane so it was confirmation that OP was no longer viable. OP still looks alive and it is so sad, he was easy to fall in love with.

Mikewise

GPO
Registered
oh no.

I have been in the process of moving, myself (the reason for this relocation) and so i have been away for a while without updates. I was very happy to see that the acclimation went well and all of Denise's descriptions were very consistent with his behavior under my care, but it looks like there were other forces in play :frown:

I have been on the road all day and am exhausted, but more later. RIP. Octopus Prime was a GREAT first octopus.

:cry: RIP Octopus Prime... So sorry that he only got to spend a little time with you D. It was a valiant effort on both or your parts to see he had a good home.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I am playing with a thought that may have absolutely no merit (and I hope it does not) but wanted to toss out the idea for comment. I make an effort to keep Caribbean tanks. I do have a couple of critters that are from other parts of the world in my reef but not many. When I kept seahorses there is a long suspected but not quite proven problem with keeping Erectus and any other seahorses. I thought I had proven differently until my non-Erectus all died with in a week (they had reached full maturity from juveniles all living in the 140). The suspected culprit is a form of Vibro that the Erectus seem to carry but are themselves resistent (but not immune). I have never had seahorses in OP's tank but I did raise my Mercs there so the thought is a concern about pathogens from the Mercs that might be present. OP went down so fast and had acted healthy. I have seen other, similar reports but never a discussion on where prior or current other residence came from. Greg's hearbreak occured too fast to be the kind of problem I am thinking about but OP's death makes me wonder.

Mikewise

GPO
Registered
dwhatley;119796 said:
I am playing with a thought that may have absolutely no merit (and I hope it does not) but wanted to toss out the idea for comment. I make an effort to keep Caribbean tanks. I do have a couple of critters that are from other parts of the world in my reef but not many. When I kept seahorses there is a long suspected but not quite proven problem with keeping Erectus and any other seahorses. I thought I had proven differently until my non-Erectus all died with in a week (they had reached full maturity from juveniles all living in the 140). The suspected culprit is a form of Vibro that the Erectus seem to carry but are themselves resistent (but not immune). I have never had seahorses in OP's tank but I did raise my Mercs there so the thought is a concern about pathogens from the Mercs that might be present. OP went down so fast and had acted healthy. I have seen other, similar reports but never a discussion on where prior or current other residence came from. Greg's hearbreak occured too fast to be the kind of problem I am thinking about but OP's death makes me wonder.

Ohh really interesting thought. We can never really know what to expect when we combine the constituents of differing ecosystems. I hope that's not the culprit too, but who knows? It is rather suspect that he went down so fast because while i had noticed him getting a bit sluggish, it was a slow consistent change. nothing like what you saw.