New 8-armed buddy

Since it's apparently too late for me to edit and add a disclaimer to the beginning of this thread, can a moderator do it for me? I want anyone who reads it in the future to know this isn't suggested because it isn't neccessarily safe or practical for octopus keeping.

I didn't want to put words in your mouth, so I just added that post to the front of your first post, is that OK? We can change it to whatever you want... although I thought you could always edit your posts, although I'm not sure you can change the thread title...

monty;107970 said:
I didn't want to put words in your mouth, so I just added that post to the front of your first post, is that OK? We can change it to whatever you want... although I thought you could always edit your posts, although I'm not sure you can change the thread title...

Thanks.

Well, checked in on the tank today while I delivered the quarantine tank. One fiddler down... all I could find was a detached giant claw. There is a new hole underneath a rock that wasn't there yesterday, about 6 inches away from the crab claw. Got some tank pictures as my girlfriend bought a Canon Powershot G9 last night (AWESOME camera by the way).

dwhatley;107962 said:
NecroChildK,
Next time you are around an adult male fiddler, allow it to grab your finger. It only takes one time to decide you don't want to leave the claw functional. They may not have a lot of crushing power but the tips are very sharp!

lol I've kept a number of fiddlers as pets, but they're so skittish none ever pinched me, they just ran away. Funny thing is, I got a rainbow land crab once and one of the male fiddlers thought he could intimidate it out of his spot. XD Needless to say, he wasn't successful. The rainbow ignored him for a long while until the fiddler finally got on top to wave his claw around and act big, then the rainbow grabbed him lightly and tossed him halfway across the terrarium. After that, the fiddler got up, climbed to the top of the tank and did a victory dance for his lady. Crabs are so fun and silly.

If "rainbows" are the same as "patriot" crabs I've kept some in a freshwater tank before. About tennis ball size, colored red, white, and blue? I couldn't keep them in the tank. They constantly climbed out and I would find them behind furniture, or just hanging out on top of the tank filter. They seriously intimidated me! Like a large tarantula with pinchers. Very bold attitudes.

Animal Mother;108046 said:
If "rainbows" are the same as "patriot" crabs I've kept some in a freshwater tank before. About tennis ball size, colored red, white, and blue? I couldn't keep them in the tank. They constantly climbed out and I would find them behind furniture, or just hanging out on top of the tank filter. They seriously intimidated me! Like a large tarantula with pinchers. Very bold attitudes.

Not quite, they're both land crabs and from what I see of the patriot crab in pictures, they're pretty close in looks, so they might be closely related. But rainbow land crab also mooncrab or Halloween crab is black with orange spots behind the eyestalks, bright orange legs and underbelly and rich purple claws.

This was my boy, Spooky.
spookyqg3.jpg

Ah wait, reading a little on t he patriot crab, seems it's an aquatic species? They're probably not that close then. Rainbow land crabs spend the vast majority of their lives on land, wetting their gills in puddles and such and only go to the water to mate.

Edit: And now I'm really confusing myself. Some pages say it's the same crab, but the pictures I find don't look that much like the Rainbow land crabs that I've seen and most look submerged in water in the images. They might just be the same damn thing, the breed has a ton of names for it.

lol And if they ARE the same thing, well it's no wonder they kept climbing out! XD They were probably thinking "This person is crazy if they think we're gonna stay in all that water!"

Patriot crabs are one of my favorites. I've thought about setting up a FW tank just so I could keep one (and then I'm sure I would get very into it, since all the fish are less than $5 XD).

The Canon G9 is a good camera. I look forward to your pictures with it.

Looks like the octopus has moved into the yellow watchman gobies home. There are several snail shells piled up just inside the space between two rocks where the yellow watchman goby had been residing. The YW goby now resides underneath the rock where the anemone is, along with the emerald crab.

Another fiddler crab down, found only the large claw and the top of its carapice(sp?). I'm hoping the octopus will become confident and show itself during business hours, but if not, at least I'm seeing obvious signs of activity and appetite. I promise pictures of at least the tank before the end of the day.

Full tank shot
fishtank019.jpg

Left half
fishtank032.jpg

Right half - the octos den is underneath the rhodactis mushrooms, bottom right side.
fishtank027.jpg

Left side view
fishtank045.jpg

Right side view
fishtank046.jpg

Yellow Watchman Goby
fishtank052.jpg

It's okay. Since the tops are taped down I was lazy and put the topoff water in the refugium and it stirred up a bunch of junk. It's usually not hazy like that.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back