• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New 8-armed buddy

All fish still alive and no signs of any stress among them. Kharma remains secretive, but today I took some shrimp to work and offered that and she took it. It was nice to reassure my coworkers there still really is an octopus in there! Its arms shot out and grabbed the stick. I gently poked at an arm with a finger and it held me for a second, then retreated into the hole, still clamped down on the stick. I held the other end for about 10 minutes, and it held tight the whole time. I left it to its shrimp and turned the lights out. Later I found the tail of the shrimp across the tank in the anemone, so I don't know how much the octopus ate, or how the shrimp ended up there. Likely discarded by the octopus and taken to the anemone by the gold striped maroon clown. I have a hard time offering foods directly to the octopus because the serpent stars and red brittle star have taken up residence in the rocks directly above the octopuses den.

Well I don't believe this octopus is ever going to become sociable. There's the bright lighting to consider as well as the very active fish, perhaps the activity in the lobby also. I put a couple of fiddler crabs in last week, and they are still alive. I even shoved one of them into the den and the octopus had no desire to mess with it. It will still play a little tug-o-war with me when I put a stick near the den, but discards any food I offer. Considering the apparent lack of appetite and activity, I'm assuming it is a female, and likely has eggs.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
RIP Kharma :angelpus: Any idea of the cause?

monty;111030 said:
RIP Kharma :angelpus: Any idea of the cause?

I don't know really, but it had not eaten anything in about 2 weeks so I'm assuming it had become senescent. The crabs I had put in there at least 2 weeks ago are still in there, alive. Every time I offered shrimp or krill it would take them, but discard them a few minutes later. At first when I would play tug-o-war with it, it would at least come all the way out of its hole (not very far) but the past few times all I got was an arm or two sticking out from the rocks, very reclusive. It was slumped over a rock in front of its den this morning when I got to work and while the fish were curious about it, none of them were picking at it. Judging by the appearance and lack of smell, I don't believe it had been dead long. I didn't pull the rock out to determine if there are any eggs or not but it wouldn't surprise me if there are.