New 8-armed buddy

NecrochildK

Cuttlefish
Registered
Joined
Jan 11, 2008
Messages
15
Animal Mother;107932 said:
I got a shipment of fiddlers today, threw in 2 large males with claws clipped. I generally don't work weekends, but I'm donating a 30 gallon setup to use as a future hospital/quarantine tank for any future fish additions so I'll be checking it out tomorrow.

Just a little question, why clip the fiddler claws? Aren't the big claws all for show and have no real strength at all in them? I would think an octo could get an extra treat out of the meat in there.
 
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Messages
4,935
NecrochildK;107938 said:
Just a little question, why clip the fiddler claws? Aren't the big claws all for show and have no real strength at all in them? I would think an octo could get an extra treat out of the meat in there.

They can still pinch with their claws. You only have to clip on side of the claw so it is disabled, the rest of the claw is intact.
 
Joined
Sep 8, 2006
Messages
2,390
NecrochildK;107938 said:
Just a little question, why clip the fiddler claws? Aren't the big claws all for show and have no real strength at all in them? I would think an octo could get an extra treat out of the meat in there.

I got pinched by a nickel sized fiddler one time. I don't care to get pinched by one again. They are STRONG! Wouldn't want a squishy octo to have to endure that.
 

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
20,993
NecroChildK,
Next time you are around an adult male fiddler, allow it to grab your finger. It only takes one time to decide you don't want to leave the claw functional. They may not have a lot of crushing power but the tips are very sharp!
 
Joined
Sep 8, 2006
Messages
2,390
Since it's apparently too late for me to edit and add a disclaimer to the beginning of this thread, can a moderator do it for me? I want anyone who reads it in the future to know this isn't suggested because it isn't neccessarily safe or practical for octopus keeping.
 

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Joined
Mar 8, 2004
Messages
4,884
I didn't want to put words in your mouth, so I just added that post to the front of your first post, is that OK? We can change it to whatever you want... although I thought you could always edit your posts, although I'm not sure you can change the thread title...
 
Joined
Sep 8, 2006
Messages
2,390
monty;107970 said:
I didn't want to put words in your mouth, so I just added that post to the front of your first post, is that OK? We can change it to whatever you want... although I thought you could always edit your posts, although I'm not sure you can change the thread title...

Thanks.
 
Joined
Sep 8, 2006
Messages
2,390
Well, checked in on the tank today while I delivered the quarantine tank. One fiddler down... all I could find was a detached giant claw. There is a new hole underneath a rock that wasn't there yesterday, about 6 inches away from the crab claw. Got some tank pictures as my girlfriend bought a Canon Powershot G9 last night (AWESOME camera by the way).
 

NecrochildK

Cuttlefish
Registered
Joined
Jan 11, 2008
Messages
15
dwhatley;107962 said:
NecroChildK,
Next time you are around an adult male fiddler, allow it to grab your finger. It only takes one time to decide you don't want to leave the claw functional. They may not have a lot of crushing power but the tips are very sharp!

lol I've kept a number of fiddlers as pets, but they're so skittish none ever pinched me, they just ran away. Funny thing is, I got a rainbow land crab once and one of the male fiddlers thought he could intimidate it out of his spot. XD Needless to say, he wasn't successful. The rainbow ignored him for a long while until the fiddler finally got on top to wave his claw around and act big, then the rainbow grabbed him lightly and tossed him halfway across the terrarium. After that, the fiddler got up, climbed to the top of the tank and did a victory dance for his lady. Crabs are so fun and silly.
 

Top