• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

new 55 gallon

Ok,

I am exhausted, but I have finally set up the 55 gallon that I bought. It has a built in overflow, drilled intake and outtake in the bottom of the aquarium, 50 pounds of live rock, some zooanthids, mushroom coral, a couple of inches of live sand, refugium (with dying caulerpa and miracle mud), bioball chamber and a pump. I will be adding a protein skimmer to the sump.

Everything looks great, although I have a little bit of a silt problem because I had to remove most of the sand in order to lift the tank...

Here is the main problem... the pump is extremely loud and vibrates. It is a Rainbow Lifegard Quiet One 4000 high head (980 gph, 1 inch inlet, 3/4 inch outlet).

Does anyone have any recommendations for a quieter pump? Or even a better pump?

it cant be louder then my dual blower AMD duron box (computer) sorry i dont know about a differnt pump but i deal with noisey hard drives onstantly. the trick is to put them on a cloth or put soem rubber grommets on the parts that touch another surface.
one hard drive i have (my file server) is suspended in a plastic bin suronded by faom and then a few layers of crumpeld up scrap paper. it is completey silent

chris

It is already on a piece of foam and my hubby lined the inside of the cabinet with some sound-deadening foam he uses for his music recording studio (he keeps all of his hard-drives, loud equipment in a machine room...). It is still loud!

The reviews on this pump are not good and the guy I bought it from says he already replaced this pump and he only had the tank 3 years...

I know that pumps are loud, but this is ridiculous. I tried to take it apart to see if something was rattling around inside of it, but I can't figure out how to unscrew it from the sump (it is a bit of a tight squeeze).

cuttlegirl said:
It is already on a piece of foam and my hubby lined the inside of the cabinet with some sound-deadening foam he uses for his music recording studio (he keeps all of his hard-drives, loud equipment in a machine room...). It is still loud!

The reviews on this pump are not good and the guy I bought it from says he already replaced this pump and he only had the tank 3 years...

I know that pumps are loud, but this is ridiculous. I tried to take it apart to see if something was rattling around inside of it, but I can't figure out how to unscrew it from the sump (it is a bit of a tight squeeze).
god.. that misut be very loud then. have you tryed crumpaling up scrap paer and putting it in corners of the cabnet and such be careful thogh!!! not near anything over 300 degrees faerenhight!!!!:sun:
chris

chris:sun:

I've heard the Quiet One pumps are anything but. You might try an Eheim 1260 or 1262. They're the best submersible pumps in terms of noise and heat but cost a pretty penny. Otherwise you might try Old Reliable, the Mag 9 (replace the "stainless" screws with nylon, though!).

Need any more chaeto for the new system to replace the caulerpa, or do you have enough from the last round?

Dan

PS - Chris, I'm disappointed in you. Paper won't burn until it reaches 451 degrees!

Originally posted by DanNeed any more chaeto for the new system to replace the caulerpa, or do you have enough from the last round?

I took a closer look at the algae and it's not caulerpa, it just has smooth blades... anyway, the guy said he thought that maybe the light bulb was old and that was why the algae was dying. I am going to replace the light, and use some of the chaeto, I will let you know if I need more, thanks :biggrin2: .

I will do some research on pumps, I think submersible may be the way to go.

DHyslop said:
I've heard the Quiet One pumps are anything but. You might try an Eheim 1260 or 1262. They're the best submersible pumps in terms of noise and heat but cost a pretty penny. Otherwise you might try Old Reliable, the Mag 9 (replace the "stainless" screws with nylon, though!).

Need any more chaeto for the new system to replace the caulerpa, or do you have enough from the last round?

Dan

PS - Chris, I'm disappointed in you. Paper won't burn until it reaches 451 degrees!
i know. but just to be safe i made it 150 d f under.

chris

The only thing that gets warm is one side of the pump, which I am trying to leave open so that it gets airflow... I have had one aquarium fire in my life already, so I am not ready for another (oh yeah, in addition to the recent kitchen fire...).

I am thrilled with my Ampmaster pump-although it is external. Quiet and no heat at all. The case of the motor feels as cool as the sump walls. I think it is too big for your needs but they make a submersible pump that would fit a 55.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back