Neurological/Sensory Morphology related to Depth?

Hi

While watching Blue Planet a question arose. I would like to know if there has been any research into the various differences in the neurological and/or sensory morphology in cephalopods based on the region of the water column in which they are found. Basically, are there sensory structures and nerve-distribution patterns that seem to correlate with depth-related lifestyle?

- John

P.S. Yeah, I know its been a hell of a long time since I last posted. Life's been horrible. If you really want to know, please PM me. But for now, back to the science questions for me.

Fujisawas Sake;118922 said:
Hi

While watching Blue Planet a question arose. I would like to know if there has been any research into the various differences in the neurological and/or sensory morphology in cephalopods based on the region of the water column in which they are found. Basically, are there sensory structures and nerve-distribution patterns that seem to correlate with depth-related lifestyle?

- John

P.S. Yeah, I know its been a hell of a long time since I last posted. Life's been horrible. If you really want to know, please PM me. But for now, back to the science questions for me.

I think Eric Warrant and friends have worked on this. I haven't watched the talk he gave at the colossal squidfest yet, but it's online at Te Papa's blog.

And, great to see you resurfacing a bit. I'm PMing you some stuff, too.

Thank you all for the :welcome: back.

Anyway, what I was thinking was that hunting in the deep and midwater is probably not as completely random as has been thought, and that deepwater specialization probably earns cephalopods heightened senses or a different pattern of nerve distribution.

Just a thought.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back