Nereus my 2nd O. Briarues

I finally caught Nereus moving around behind the rocks last night. He still hasn't returned to his normal meandering about the entire tank but at least he's moving about again.

I've decided to put a slight reverse lighting on my tank to help facilitate the nocturnal dominance of my tank (i.e. anemones, stingray, octopus, ass. crustaceans). Since the tank is in our bedroom, I'll run the lightiing from morning until I get home around 5pm or 6pm. Then run the actinic until about 10pm. That will give me some time to see all of the nocturnal animals in my tank. Especially since the majority of my anemones will not open up until after the lights shut off. I'm thinking about getting some 403nm LED strips to accent the colors and add a dull drab look to the rest of the. I think this will bring out the nocturnal animals even more with enough light to see them. Any colored animals like Nereus and the anemones should light up like a candle under the UV as well. Only problem is I need about $200 for the strips lol. I don't think my wife is going to let me do that right now. So until then I'll just keep some cheap T8 actinic bulbs on there.

Here are photos of Nereus' new home arrangements an his new lunar lighting system. It's not the greatest, but it looks loads better in person. I was going for a direct moon beam sorce that faded out like you would normally see on a reef during a full moon. I'm hoping that it's dim enough to allow me to see everyone when the come out. If they come out. :fingerscrossed: Like I said before. The majority of this tanks' inhabitants are nocturnal. I'd like the entire tank to be a dime faded blue like the far right, but I don't know how to achieve that all the way across the tank.

Attachments

• conv_297186.jpg
    conv_297186.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 74
  • conv_297187.jpg
    conv_297187.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 98
  • conv_297188.jpg
    conv_297188.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 89
Great news. Nereus Loves the new lunar lighting. I caught him out and about a few hours ago and I got a short video of it. It's loading right now so I'll post it in the morning if it's successfully downloads.

I saw Nereus again this evening. He doesn't look so good. He's always been a bit squirrely ever since I got him, cork screwing his arms and his funny eating habits. He didn't eat tonight. His mantle looks a if its leaning to one side and stuck there and his siphon doesn't look quite right. He's still fairly active but eats irregularly.

I got some vitamin/nutrient liquid suppliment the other day that I'm soaking his shrimp in. I don't know if this increase in nutrients or him just coming out of his own little spell, but the other night he was just swimming and crawling about happy as a clam. He moved alot of the rocks around, or made them tumble over more or less. I'll have to fix them when I get the time.

Nereus is still on and off with his feedings. I can't tell if he's eating things inside the tank or now, but he showes no signs of sickness or malnutrition. Sometimes he comes out the second the main lights shut off and the blue light kicks in(like tonight) and some times he waits a few hours before slowly creeping out. One of his arm tips looks damaged so I'm wondering what is in there that could have caused that. I don't think it's the stingray as I've never seen them interact. He keeps his hectocotylus completely curled up all the way to his mantle the majority of the time. Should this be reason for concern? Also I want to try adding some mangrooves to this tank again. The last ones didn't work out, but there were so many factors that I believe played a roll in killing them that I'm not really sure where I went wrong exactly. Does anyone have any tips on the requirements for mangrooves?

RIP Nereus

:sad: Tonight when I went to feed everyone, I found Nereus dead in some weird position hanging oddly off a rock. He never was quite right from the second I bought him. I guess what ever it was that was ailing him finally got the better.

:angelpus:

:goodbye:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back