• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Need some questions answered about my O. chierchiae (originally mercatoris)

Jon, could you please tell us how much Charley has been visible since you first got him - has he stayed hidden for most of the time? Can you see him in his den? What time of day do you see him?

Thanks,
Nancy

He stays hidden for the majority of the day but when I first got him he was visible during the day more often because i think he hadn't gotten his bearings in the tank yet. The times i would see him the most though were very late at night and he would be moving around quite a bit. I havent had the chance to be up very late recently (around 12ish was usually when I would see him out). And I can always see him in his den, he keeps his body scrunched up in a hole with one eye visible so he can see whats going on outside.

hey guys I have some cyano bacteria in my tank and I need to know what the best way of getting rid of it is. Also I wanted to know if chemi clean would be safe or should i just syphon it out and use a phosphate reducing pad?

Just siphon it out. Cyano comes and goes, so I am not a proponent adding anything to take care of it.
Phosphate reducing pads don't work all that well, while GFO does. However, I wouldn't add any unless you test for phosphate. :biggrin2:

oh and i wanted to know if there was anything that you guys would recomend for getting calcium up in my tank. I really would like to put some coral in their so there is something to look at while charley is hiding. I've been told that purple up shouldn't really do anything but i know someone on here told me it would irritate charleys gills. Any suggestions?

Purple up is not a good additive for raising calcium - it doesn't really dissolve well. It just isn't a good product, but people love to sell it. I don't know of any serious reefer that uses it. :biggrin2:

To raise calcium for corals I suggest a two part solution, like b-ionic. The two parts are ca and alk, and they need to be in balance, hence the two part. If you really only need to raise ca, something like kents turbo ca is good. Make sure you are testing before adding anything.

Whats your ca level now?

I'm not sure but next time I bring in a sample to work I'll test it and let you know. Is kents turbo ca something that I would have to add other chemicals to keep the water balanced?

Also is their a list on here of octo friendly corals and corals to stay away from? Sun polyps seem to be a good choice because they are non photosynthetic but im not sure if they would sting charley or not.

Jon Crossan;117998 said:
I'm not sure but next time I bring in a sample to work I'll test it and let you know. Is kents turbo ca something that I would have to add other chemicals to keep the water balanced?

Those are loaded questions because there is a bunch of background info needed to discuss them meaningfully. My best suggestion is to get a good book or to read some online articles about reef chemistry and get yourself a handle on what is actually going on.

The "How To" Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

and for ca specific

Chemistry and the Aquarium

On a more general note, you can't really just add chemicals and hope that your parameters are balanced. A great rule of thumb is 'if you aren't testing for it, don't add it' because it is easy to be under-dosing or worse, overdosing. If you don't have any corals at all, you have little to worry about in the dosing arena.

Also is their a list on here of octo friendly corals and corals to stay away from? Sun polyps seem to be a good choice because they are non photosynthetic but im not sure if they would sting charley or not.

I think sun coral would be fine. Mostly you want to stay away from things with long sweeper tentacles or anemones. I don't know about a list, but if there isn't one, a general list would be a good idea.

Jon Crossan;117998 said:

I would definitely keep sun corals (tubastrea or dendrophyllia) out of the octo tank. Those yellow tentacles are loaded with stinging cells that could injure (or catch) an unwary ceph.

I think Thales and Jon are referring to these (sorry, I don't know the proper name):

http://sealifeinc.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=160

and they are one of the polyps in Octane's tank. He has no problem at all with them and will spread out on their rock (they close up when he is mucking about with them).

However, it is NOT so of these:

http://sealifeinc.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=108

that are also in his tank and he jerks his arm if he accidently touches one. The Cinnamon zoos will not be going into the new tank but the Sun polyps will be transferred.

I was actually reffering to these http://www.nano-reef.com/corals/images/sunpolyps1.jpg but they look like they have stinging cells so I'm just going to go ahead and assume that they aren't safe to be in their with charley

I remember hearing awhile back when I first got an account on here that sombody had made a list of octo friendly corals but I cant find one on here. Does anyone know if there really is a list or not? and if their isn't I guess there's a good new project for some of the staff.

This is more of a discussion than a list, but is a good starting point, at least:

are there any corals Octo safe?

This is one of those things that ought to be put into some sort of more coherent faq/list/document... but I've been holding off on pestering Tony about that sort of thing until he gets the home page out of limbo...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back