• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Need some help..Hitchhiking baby octo from Morehead, NC

My concern with the shell in the bottle is that he will be constantly rolling around on water exchanges every couple hours..If you thin its still better Ill put one in asap!

I am most worried about stress and not being able to hide. It is their nature to stay hidden most of (if not all) the time until somewhere between 4 and 5 months. My guess is this is either approaching sexual maturity or the size where they become predator vs prey. The den needs to provide a hiding place and complete darkness. Something that spirals inward might be best (like a snail or small conch shell). This will give a varied amount of room, allow you to place food where it will slide toward the animal and give it security. I used shells for the mercs but the ever escaping briareus seemed to prefer the live rock. Without a choice, however, the shell should be accepted.

I put a snail shell in late last night and it was in it this am. What I found interesting was its preference to be on the side of the bottle to watch the surroundings vs the nubs at the bottom of the bottle. I have a 5x5 net cage I may try if I can formulate some sort of top that way I don't have to disturb it that much to feed/ change water etc..

Most of mine (not necessarily hatchlings) have housed up off the bottom (with two exceptions - Shiitake being one of them) but often cling to the LR or wall. At least two would cling upside down and peer upward in natural openings.

How often an how much is it eating?

Sad night, micro man has gone to the other side…I really thought when we made a week we might make it..unfortunately not..thank you for all your help..

Bill

It is very hard to keep them alive at this age. Of the 45+ from Kooah's brood, only 2 survived. Mistakes (putting two together and not cordoning off hardware) may have been responsible for two deaths but the rest just disappeared.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back