Need help with Orthocone sculpture

I'm not sure how I even got here,or even got to the video. But when I've never seen this considering I don't type in spanish. But this is cool.:cool2:
Kinda looks like what your making here, excluding the size :nyah:

CC,

That's the one. Though my DVD is in English thankfully.

Here is another video with the only other images I have been able to find:

I am almost ready to start painting. I had to do some surgery a few days ago to bring my beast nearer to being anatomically correct if there is such a thing for a beast that only comes down to us in shell fragments.

- Leelan

A couple pictures of the surgery. I hollowed out a space for the siphon and the "bellows" part of the mantle.

Orthocone10.jpg

Orthocone11.jpg

First layer of paint, stippled black.

Orthocone12.jpg

Followed by white and deep red.

Orthocone13.jpg

Orthocone14.jpg

And that is enough for today.

- Leelan

LuisRey.jpg

I may change the color scheme a bit I am thinking. I like this image even though I didn't sculpt it. Ten arms are much easier than twenty-four don't you think?

We will see tomorrow. My day off. Lots of time for painting.

- Leelan

:bugout:

Geez. That looks way too intricate for my nervous hands to paint. Perhaps if someone made a pattern in a decal . . .

Na. I will try for a nautilus paint job. That won't be too inaccurate will it? Are there specific fossilized patterns for Cameroceras?

- Leelan

Personally, In my opinion. When it comes to making nice, smooth, perfect textures like the shell. I think decepting organic structures are so much more easier. You don't have to be perfect.

OK. I need a little help with my base. I've researched lots of images online and can find nothing definitive on coral or much of anything else. Can you help me? I don't want to be too anachronistic in what I put in the background. But I don't want it to be boring either.

-Leelan

P.S. I have lost the thread that had this diorama: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEA-CREATUR...d=link&campid=5338967513&toolid=20001&mkevt=1 It is too big but might stir the grey cells.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e9/modelnut/Cameroceras Orthocone/Base01a.jpg

Base01a.jpg

Here is the base so far. There are several starfish on it. They are made from macaroni. Sanded thin and painted blue and red. The sponges are made of Magic Sculpt. The red coral is the top of an aquarium plant. The blue table coral is made of index card glued into shallow cones. I painted them with CA glue and sprinkled salt on it to give it coral-like detail.

The blue table coral I am not sure about. It might not have evolved yet. But I can find nothing "Aye" or "Nay" online.

Friends in my local modeling group say that the base is good as it is. But I think it looks a little empty. I know it should not attract attention away from the main model. But even a small section of reef is not so sparsely populated even in the Ordovician I am thinking.

Any thoughts or advice?

- Leelan

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back