Need help with Orthocone sculpture

modelnut

O. vulgaris
Registered
Orthocone15.jpg

Getting there.

- Leelan

Personally, In my opinion. When it comes to making nice, smooth, perfect textures like the shell. I think decepting organic structures are so much more easier. You don't have to be perfect.

modelnut

O. vulgaris
Registered
OK. I need a little help with my base. I've researched lots of images online and can find nothing definitive on coral or much of anything else. Can you help me? I don't want to be too anachronistic in what I put in the background. But I don't want it to be boring either.

-Leelan

P.S. I have lost the thread that had this diorama: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEA-CREATURES-Silurian-Diorama-RESIN-KIT-/330645559797?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D330639234683%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5029249102897385056 It is too big but might stir the grey cells.

modelnut

O. vulgaris
Registered
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e9/modelnut/Cameroceras%20Orthocone/Base01a.jpg

Base01a.jpg

Here is the base so far. There are several starfish on it. They are made from macaroni. Sanded thin and painted blue and red. The sponges are made of Magic Sculpt. The red coral is the top of an aquarium plant. The blue table coral is made of index card glued into shallow cones. I painted them with CA glue and sprinkled salt on it to give it coral-like detail.

The blue table coral I am not sure about. It might not have evolved yet. But I can find nothing "Aye" or "Nay" online.

Friends in my local modeling group say that the base is good as it is. But I think it looks a little empty. I know it should not attract attention away from the main model. But even a small section of reef is not so sparsely populated even in the Ordovician I am thinking.

Any thoughts or advice?

- Leelan

Not sure if it is blend-able to smash green plants with coral, but this picture might give an idea.
Oh and maybe some shells? It's up to you.

Attachments

• conv_298894.jpg
    conv_298894.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 269

modelnut

O. vulgaris
Registered
Thanks, CC,

I've had that picture for years now. Some of those details are a little hard to reproduce in 35th scale. I can do the brain coral. The cone anemones are too small though. I have no idea how I might model crinoids that small. I though about gluing tiny flowers on top of dressed wire but I don't know if that will work. The thought of doing teeny tiny bivalves --- ? It gives me the shakes just thinking about it. :goofysca:

What I need to know are specifically what type of coral existed in the Ordovician and Silurian ages. Then I could ease my mind on that detail anyway.

- Leelan

modelnut

O. vulgaris
Registered

This is another good one.

The thing is that the base shouldn't be so busy as to attract attention away from the Orthocone. It is a delicate balance. I am trying for verisimilitude, truth in my display.

- Leelan

Attachments

• conv_298895.jpg
    conv_298895.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 243
  • conv_298896.jpg
    conv_298896.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 260

modelnut

O. vulgaris
Registered
Surely horn coral is not all that there was? Many of these period displays or dioramas show something that looks like brain coral. Maybe the formations don't have the "brain" convolutions but they look to be the same size and shape.

Can you say that there was no table coral then? I can't find anything that says what variety of coral existed then. Except the horn coral you mentioned.

- Leelan

Latest Forum Posts