• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Need help on Skimmers still :(

Kharn

O. vulgaris
Registered
Ok so I've started to sum up a lot of what I need, however the protein skimmer is still making me worried as to what size I need (people have been speaking of a skimmer that can handle 3-4x the volume of the tank) I have gone through the thread in the article "Whcih protein skimmer do you have? and would you recommend it however I am STILL worried.

The recommendations are on the skimmers themselves (I know that the manufacturers can tend to exaggerate there skimmers capacities). So its a 100G Octo tank and the skimmer is a "Octopus Core + Pentair 1500i", it is an In-sump skimmer.

its retail recommendations are as follows...

Max Tank Size: 1500 L
Air Intake: 3000 L/H
Pump Power: PENTAIR 3000 55w

Please if anyone has used "reefoctopus" products before tell me what yours is like, however I am worried that this skimmer is to small for the tank its going to be used on any hints please ?

If the skimmer isn't going to be the only external source of filtration on your tank then you probably don't need to be too worried about it as long as you have good live rock and stick to a good water change schedule. 100 gallons is pretty big for a lot of the species we keep and the water volume will help tremendously. Just don't get one of the bigger species like vulgaris.

I've heard very good things about ReefOctopus skimmers. I'm actually planning on purchasing one myself very soon.

how about marineland and coralife? i know marineland has a pretty good rep but i dont know anything about their skimmers. or coralifes either for that matter.

Animal Mother;121508 said:
If the skimmer isn't going to be the only external source of filtration on your tank then you probably don't need to be too worried about it as long as you have good live rock and stick to a good water change schedule.

Well like I said ( I may be confused here :hmm: ) its an In-sump skimmer you can see what the filtration system is going to look like in one of my previous threads in the 'Octopus Care' threads under 'Filters Vs Tank'. Basically the filter is a Wet/Dry setup with the Skimmer in sump and a Refugium attached, there a various photos of the setup on that forum (however the skimmer in the photos is NOT the one I will be purchasing).

Once I feel comfortable enough with the information I have I'll get all this setup running and post pics of the end results.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back