• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

NEAQ

Yellowboy

Hatchling
Registered
Im heading to the New England Aquarium on thursday...anyone know if they have an octo? I know they used to have king tut but what about more recently?

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Hmm -- two or three years ago I was there and there was a beautiful GPO which I'm pretty sure was not King Tut. I believe Tintenfisch would know best, she used to work there and I believe stays in touch. Also, did you try their website?

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
The NEAq generally has a GPO (Enteroctopus dolfleini) and they reach pretty good size. When I was there last November, Sebastian (King Tut's successor) was on his last legs (arms?) and I met his replacement, waiting in the wings, who hadn't been named yet but was already quite large. So... whether you'll see a really old one or quite a young one I'm not sure, but there should definitely be one on display. Find out its name for us if you get the chance. :smile:
They also go through phases of keeping cuttlefish, and you can almost certainly see chambered nautilus, although this exhibit is very easy to miss - it's 'hidden' (i.e. recessed and quite dark) on the first floor just as you go out to see the seals & sealions.
Have fun!

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gary T

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak