• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Nautilus's

Nautilusfreak;122049 said:
Actually it wouldnt really matter if it was tropic water or cool water because im really all about plumbing and temp when it comes to aquarium building and setups, I have no idea why.:smile:

However, changing the temp radically over a short period of time would effect you tank environment. Not necessarily bad depending upon what else is in the aquarium but it can cause a partial recycle. Also be aware that if you are cycling at 40 degrees, it will take longer to establish a stable environment that encouraging bacteria at 75 and slowly dropping the temperature. So even though you are at the two month mark you need to add additional time into the "is it soup yet" equasion.

yes, im aware of changing the temperature too fast, but I ment I would keep the beginner octopus until I think im ready for a nautilus, then id donate it to old orchard aquarium, my trusty little mantis shrimp shop =). Cycling...its boring but it has to be done. Though I will have nothing in the tank except the live rock, octopus and later..a nautilus or two, and saltwater of course..hehe

Though I will have nothing in the tank except the live rock, octopus and later..a nautilus or two, and saltwater of course..hehe

Oh, you will have a lot more than that if you have ocean live rock :biggrin2:. I see new stuff showing up all the time in my tanks (mostly sponges or one variety or another) that are a minimum of two years old.

I have only kept one cold tank and gave up on the inkling of a thought about a nautilus (I am not sure how people can think they are boring, I watched one at a pet shop for over an hour) because I disliked cleaning it more and more over the two + years I maintained it. When I lost my last Abdominalis (pot bellied seahorse), I turned off the chiller. Initially, we configured our 140 with the idea that it could go either way but by the time it was build and delivered we chose a warm water tank.

currently some of my stomatopods died from molting...I have some people living here so when they molt the people are usually poking around the tank and usually shocking the mantis shrimp, thus making it die in the process. Well I have only Artemis left my strong surviving peacock mantis. Others i had were a G.ternatensis, who comitted suicide after chasing a bubble and jumping out the tank when the bubble hit the surface, I think the force of him falling on the floor killed him because he wasnt moving for reason, I put him back for a day or two but nothing. I had another G. Smithii but he was one of the ones that died molting. Others include a P.ciliata, G.viridis ,and N.Wennerae.
These were all given from my best friend who gave up the hobby, but I got the peacock from a local LFS, which I didnt expect would keep these in stock

Nautilusfreak;122082 said:
currently some of my stomatopods died from molting...I have some people living here so when they molt the people are usually poking around the tank and usually shocking the mantis shrimp, thus making it die in the process.

Are those people going to be living there when you get a cephalopod? You really don't want a lot of people putting their dirty hands in your tanks...

yes they are but I will be sure to give them strict directions until they leave. I.E. they are my cousins, the kind taht are annoying and never listens. Apparently a house on their street caught on fire and it caught to their room from across the other building next door.

Aha! I love stomatopod.com!! I found it before purchasing Artemis. Any idea when they will be back in stock? That female p.ciliata has been sitting there for some time now, poor thing, but im sure billy bachman and his crew does their best to keep them healthy and alive with all their experts!Im thinking of getting my next mantis from them, if they have it in stock, im looking for a O. Havanensis. My lfs says they can get a mantis shrimp but they didnt say what species, I asked for odontodactylus havanensis and the only thing that came up with a green mantis shrimp that just had the name Mantis Shtimp, so I probably would not want to buy from my lfs.

cuttlegirl;122100 said:
I don't think Petsmart sells salt water fish/animals, at least not any that I have ever visited. The quality of fish at larger pet stores is not always the best :hmm:.

YOU WIN THE AWARD FOR THE UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE YEAR :smile:

That being said, I have to admit that I bought my six Clarkies from a closing Petco as the very last fish in their aquarium department. I was experimenting with my tall tank and did not want to spend a huge amount of money but wanted a small family of some kind of clown. Now I wish I had gone for the more attactive clowns as these guys will probably out live me! I just hope the female does not out grow the diameter of the tank.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back