• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Nautilus

Tommycs

Wonderpus
Registered
I'm not saying that i would do this, but what would happen if a bimac and a nautilus were in the same tank, Would one kill the other?

It was simply a question, I would never do this, i understand the difference in the temperatures of the two and things like that, I was simply curious about if since both are cephalopods, would they have different attitudes towards each other.

Octopus is a major predator of nautilus in the wild - I'm not sure a bimac is large enough to kill your average-sized nautilus, but I suspect it would have a go. I think, apart from the different tank conditions, this would end in one well-fed cephalopod quite quickly. Not advisable.

Nancy;135203 said:
Don't even think about this, please. They require different tank conditions.

Nancy
he was being animal abusive its just a theory no need to be defensive it is the human nature to wonder

I condsider this an appropriate and responsible answer from Nancy, one of our most experienced (and longest-standing) ceph-keeping staff members. You'd be surprised what questions have cropped up here that should have been wildly hypothetical but weren't... :shock:

Tintenfisch;139974 said:
I condsider this an appropriate and responsible answer from Nancy, one of our most experienced (and longest-standing) ceph-keeping staff members. You'd be surprised what questions have cropped up here that should have been wildly hypothetical but weren't... :shock:

but in this case it was hypothetical :indiffer:

Fortunately true. We just have to be very careful about answering questions like this - our first concern is to try to ensure that no one ever reads this thread and goes, 'Hmm, yeah, hypothetically one would probably kill the other, but maybe not - I wonder if I could try it myself.' I'm guessing that Nancy's first response was partly to make sure that this was only a hypothetical situation in this instance, and partly to make sure that no one reading the thread later could possibly get the idea that trying it out might be OK.

I understand Nancy's concern, Nancy as I (and pretty much everyone else on the forum) do love these magnificent creatures so much and I understand that sometimes there will be some punk kid who thinks it would be "cool" to experiment. She was only taking precautionary measures to make sure no cephs were hurt. But thanks mcmusashi5 for helping to clear up my position. I really don't think that Nancy was being defensive in a "mean" way or anything like that, again she was only defending cephalopods.

Sometimes you just never know what will eat what. These two (not in an octo tank) have been together for over a month and live side by side in the wild. I found them like this today. Fortunately, it looks like I extracted the antler anemone in time as it is recovering nicely IN ANOTHER TANK :biggrin2:

Attachments

• conv_294421.jpg
    conv_294421.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
  • conv_294422.jpg
    conv_294422.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
  • conv_294423.jpg
    conv_294423.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 13
I guess it is just natures way, if something will eat something by instinct than maybe it should. Thanks D for sharing those pictures.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back