• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Nautilus Ventilation

gjbarord

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Does anyone have any information on Nautilus ventilation? When a nautilus closes its shell is it still able ventilate?? There is no funnel movement outside of the shell and no perceived effluent coming out of the hood.

Greg

My feeling is that they do - even with the hood closed, looking behind the eye in the gap b/w shell and hood, you can usually see the mantle moving back and forth, even if the funnel is completely withdrawn. Although I have definitely seen animals appear to stop all signs of breathing for 30 minutes or more. And there hypoxia tolerance is supposed to be really high, so I imagine they could go long periods without breathing if necessary. Have you tried a dye test to track water flow around the hood when its closed?

I may have to try the dye method. It would make sense that nautilus are able to cease all signs of ventilation ( to the naked eye) given their behavior and habitat. Thanks.

Greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back