• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Nautilus Pupils & Hood

Does anyone have experience with Nautilus pompilius exhibiting extremely dilated pupils? Or the hood being so "droopy" that the black, then white band is visible above the hood? Or are these normal characteristics..

This is a photo of a nautilus I had cared for about a year ago. It exhibited dilated pupils & a "droopy" hood. Sadly he passed away soon after. I just received three new nautilus. They are all doing well. I was just wondering if anyone had seen this before so I can prevent it from happening again.

Attachments

• Nautilus.JPG
    Nautilus.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 30
Pupils can definitely change but there is a reason...

My experience with their pupils changing was because of anesthesia. The pupils dilated during the anesthesia and went back to normal after that.

Regarding the white band, I'm not sure I can tell what that is in the photo...

Greg

I think it looks like the Nautilus was losing muscle control and the eyes dilated and the hood was pulling away from the shell. I'm guessing the animal was close to death. I don't think there was anything you could have done save the animal at that stage.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back