• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Nautilus pompilius

there are no plans for a care sheet as not many people keep them and those that do cant often satisfy their needs...

are they for a home aquarium?

Just visited Jenkinson's Aquarium and they still have the same Nautilus in a 55 Gal tank looks like a undergravel filter run by powerheads and I would think some other type of filtration. They keep it in a darkened tank. Most people would not even know he is there unless they read the signs.

Are you sure you really want a nautilus?

I believe they are hard to keep, are very unresponsive and you will need to keep them in a deep aquarium in cold water in the dark. Nonetheless, good luck if you do attempt it.

In short, they make poor pets and require very specific conditions and I don't think many people around here would recommend keeping them.

For information you might want to have a look at this old thread:
Care for Nautilus

Very few people keep nautilus in a home aquarium as they need a deep tank , chillers and they aren't too easy to care for. I only know one of our members L_S has kept a nautilus before, but it only lasted a couple of days. Do a search and see if you can find the thread, he had a few nice shots of it but i'm not sure if the images are still there.

apart from the requirements - why do you want one - not to be rude - but they really dont have any personality like other cephs as far as i have heard, i think a purpose built setup could house one if you did lots of research but what is the point!!! lol

arent they a threatened species anyway - i know you can get them but...

as phil said... keeping them cold is normally the main problem... seen too many in reef tanks and people wondering why they died!?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back