• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

nautilus necropsy - not for the faint of heart...

robyn

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
entirely possible - we're looking into the cause so I'll keep everyone updated. Right now I am totally in the dark though. I originally thought bacterial, then we found heaps of protozoans in the wound, and now fungal seems like a distinct possibility.

Basically we're considering everything. Maybe it was aliens...

That's way cool to see the inside of a nautilus like that, and to have everything labeled and stuff helps me understand them a lot more. I always thought that when I am older it would be cool to examine and octopus like this, and do experiments of the like, of course not to be sick, after the octo has died of natural causes. :smile:

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
gjbaroad mentioned a similar condition in his talk at TONMOCON II that involved black "gunk" which is organic, but which doesn't seem to (IIRC) have any pathogens (fungal, bacterial, or otherwise) that have been cultured at all. Unfortunately, the immediate lesson was that a high-calcium diet was tried for them, but didn't seem to help.

Perhaps he can give more details...

That talk also made me acutely aware of how ignorant I am about ceph (and invertebrate in general) immune systems-- I was struck when they announced that the sea urchin genome project had showed that our echinoderm fellow deuterostomes have a surprisingly similar immune system to vertebrates, but the implication is that the protostomes must have a very different one, which I know nothing about... perhaps after a bit of searching, I'll start a thread on the subject over in Phys & Bio, if there isn't one already...

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Bob the kracken;97045 said:
i know nothing about nautilus anatomy. explain to me why it couldn't be both bacterial and fungal?

There's no reason why it couldn't be both bacterial and fungal! I only suggested fungal because it looks like a condition that our abalone get which has been shown to be fungal! If it was shown to be both then an antibiotic AND an antifungal medication would be required.

J