Nautilus gets much needed protection

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
Thanks for posting this Tony.

I'll add some short details to what CITES means for nautiluses. If anyone has any questions/comments, please share them!

CITES (Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species) regulates species threatened by the international trade. CITES is made up of 183 countries, referred to as Parties, that agree to abide by the decisions made at the CITES Conference of the Parties, most recently held in Johannesburg, South Africa from September 24th to October 5th. Here, species are proposed for either being listed in one of three appendices (I, II, or III) or having their listing changed. Appendix I species represent the most vulnerable to extinction and trade is HIGHLY regulated. Appendix II species represent organisms that are currently threatened by trade but not to the levels of Appendix I. For Appendix I and II listings, a 2/3 majority of the Parties must vote in favor. Finally, Appendix III listings include species that countries may list themselves without needing any vote.

All species of nautiluses (Family Nautilidae) were proposed for listing under Appendix II and this was approved by a strong majority of the Parties in Johannesburg. This means that countries wishing to export nautiluses (live, whole, pieces), must provide "Non-Detriment Findings) showing that the trade is not negatively impacting populations. This seemingly simple task also results in more data being collected and shared and should lead to even greater management of the resource and protection for the species. However, this also depends on collaboration, awareness, and resources. The listing does not come into effect until 90 days after the meeting. During this time, many people (including myself), governments, and organizations will work together to inform the relevant stake holders of the CITES listing and begin the process of assisting each other in collecting these 'Non-Detriment Findings".

CITES is not a final resting place for species. It should be a stop-gap measure to re-calibrate how we are treating many of our species on this planet. If a sustainable nautilus fishery exists, then it really is beyond me to tell any country how to, or not to, use their resources, not that I ever would. I think that is what makes CITES so interesting because many countries view animals and plants differently, for better or worse, and the Parties of CITES have to try and work together on a common goal that not only serves the people and countries, but also the species involved.

Guess that was longer than I hoped... Happy to explain anything further. Nautilus conservation took a huge leap forward in Johannesburg but this is not the end, just a new beginning. It's time for all of us to stay "#nautilusstrong" to ensure that we really are saving the nautiluses.

Greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back