Nautilus feeding

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Hi all, I'm not sure whether pics like these had been posted before, but I collected this specimen during a web bottom trawl in Poland. It was a first for me, anyway, so I thought I'd share.

This is quite a photo! - I didn't realize a nautilus would eat a crab like this.
Do you know what species the nautilus is?

Nancy

Dr. Bruce Carlson reported that captive nautilus ate very large deep sea crabs and remained negatively buoyant for hours after.

I have fed out crabs that large to nautilus before, and they readily accept and eat them.

Very cool photo!!! Did you pull the crab up with the nautilus??

Greg

Just to clear matters up here, a web trawl is not actual fishing, Greg :wink: What I wished to express in ever so many bad puns, was that I found this pic on a Polish site, but need to work on my English humour somewhat more...

Ok, Ob, what in the world does a man coming to, or by, or at (whichever fits) the doctor have to do with the nautilus eating the crab? Personally, I like Monty's hovercraft full of eels picture. :confused:

sorseress;102708 said:
Ok, Ob, what in the world does a man coming to, or by, or at (whichever fits) the doctor have to do with the nautilus eating the crab? Personally, I like Monty's hovercraft full of eels picture. :confused:

Sadly, I can't take credit for that image, although you've inadvertently credited it correctly, since it's from a Monty Python skit about someone selling a "wrong" phrasebook to a foreign tourist...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back