• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

nautiloid(?) I bought at a fossil shop

Here are two blurry pictures fo a nautiloid fossil from Tajikistan. I'll try again someday when my hands are steady.

Too-much-coffee Melissa

Attachments

• conv_291966.jpg
    conv_291966.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 50
  • conv_291967.jpg
    conv_291967.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 54
I have to echo Monty's laudatory post about our fossil fiends. Much as I have admired rocks in the past, I would never have noticed this without the education I've received from TONMOers, especially Phil, who made the fossils in the British Museum palpably relevant rather than simply history.

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
Nice fossil Melissa, I believe it is an ammonite, just going by the expansion rate of the shell and the radial orientation of the septa (a simple septa cut in half would be crescentric).

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Architeuthoceras;104325 said:
Nice fossil Melissa, I believe it is an ammonite, just going by the expansion rate of the shell and the radial orientation of the septa (a simple septa cut in half would be crescentric).

My first thought was "that has a very long body chamber, so it's probably an ammonite"-- in the spirit of learning from the fossil fiends: is that a good reaction, or just me showing my ignorance? (I didn't think about either of the criteria you did mention, Kevin, although that may have been part of my "that looks like an ammonite, but I'm not sure why" that preceded my "maybe 'cause of the long body chamber" thought.)

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
monty;104326 said:
My first thought was "that has a very long body chamber, so it's probably an ammonite"-- in the spirit of learning from the fossil fiends: is that a good reaction, or just me showing my ignorance? (I didn't think about either of the criteria you did mention, Kevin, although that may have been part of my "that looks like an ammonite, but I'm not sure why" that preceded my "maybe 'cause of the long body chamber" thought.)

The long body chamber is another sign that it is probably an ammonite, maybe that is why I notice the expansion rate, coiled nautiloids seem to have only a few whorls and a short (relatively) body chamber while ammonoids have many whorls with a long body chamber, there are always exceptions. The siphuncle also seems to be ventral which is another mark of ammonoids (if that is the siphuncle I see) of coarse there are always exceptions. The real test would be seeing prochoanitic septal necks on the siphuncle, but again, there are exceptions there too.

One of the fossil fiends :sagrin: being fiendish :wink:

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
thank you, my good fiend!

Literal dumb luck! I called it an ammonite in the shop because I knew it wasn't a belemnite, and I don't know any more than that.:earlyammo:argonaut::ceratite::goniatite:nautilus::plectrono:bactritin:earlynaut
Everything I know, I learned from the smileys. Thanks, Phil!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conor Henry

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak