MythBUSTERS...octopus egg

I just watched Mythbusters today on discovery channel around 3:00 PM...and at the end of the episode it featured the two guys who are the mythbusters themselves...trying to solve a popular myth about a girl who claimed she swallowed an octopus egg during a dive...went to the hospital 6 months later and gave birth to a live octopus which was removed from her belly. Silly or what?

What made the myth interesting was that there actually ARE eggs that could be congested by humans and form growth in the stomach and intestine...but not by octopuses. A type of worm would be an example of just that. However, like most eggs...octopus eggs are extrememly sensitive and require a lot of care from the mother octopus as well as delicate water parameters. Without any of this, it wouldn't survive and going into the digestive system of a human would simply kill it for food because of the acids.

The myth is believed to have been made up because it just proves an example of how people try to convince little girls to not get pregnant and tell silly stories to scare them...like, if you swim in a pool full of sperm, you can get pregnant despite the chlorene. Other stories included lizard and newt eggs being congested and given birth...but those are also false because of the eggs delicate conditions. In the episode though, the two guys visited the Monteray Bay Aquarium and spoke to the husbandry lady were she took them behind the scenes and fed the giant octopus shrimp and squid. It tasted the food as well as the 2 guys which they called "octopus hickies" lol.

jc45 said:
Hey, I saw that episode. That myth was busted pretty quick, huh?

Joey

Lol, ya...busted in under 10 minutes. It was too silly though to ponder about for the whole episodes time frame. I wish they had cuz the Monteray Bay Aquarium was pretty to look at.

Armstrong said:
Lol, ya...busted in under 10 minutes. It was too silly though to ponder about for the whole episodes time frame. I wish they had cuz the Monteray Bay Aquarium was pretty to look at.

It's even nicer from the inside!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back