• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Myt cuttlefishes getting fewer...

wrang

Hatchling
Registered
I have my cuttlefish babies now for one mounth. I feed them with live artemia and can see that thay eating. From the beginning i have 11 and now its only two left.
Water temp: 25 °C
Salinity: 1025
Nitrat: 0

I have just 4 miles to the sea here in Sweden and have tried to catch some seafood to like mysis etc but its to colld in the water so its not to mutch right now with the live food.

What do i do wrong

Hope som help

Best regards

Thanks for the answer. I have tried frozen mysis but no respons. Today i was at the sea and fins some Xsmall schrimp

When i came home now it was only one sepia left :cry:

Is there a way to make the frozen mysis move? You could blow water on the mysid with an eyedropper or pipette and pretend it was alive for the cuttlefish. Try placing the mysid in the cuttlefish's arms.

mine eat frozen too, may you can try to put four mysis to each cuttle in the tank and then try to move them with a soft water stream, i think this would help.

I've lost only two cuttles in 2 month.

They can take much more water flow than people seem to think. Up the water flow so that when you put the frozen mysis in they get blown around more making it more likely the cuttles will strike at them.

Sadly, I think a month on brine will end up in all losses. They just aren't a suitable food for hatchling cuttles.

My 1/2" babies were eating 1" ghost shrimp? (they eat the tail end only, kinda funny) I would go with bigger food and get healthy food in them. ASAP!!!! (even if it is freshwater ghost shrimp as a TEMP food) Only place one in at a time. (don't want to stress the little guys) There is still hope!

hey wrang, i was last week in danmark on rinkobing fjord, there i found much mysis in the 10°C cold water.

Mysis love water with less salt so look at the end of the rivers where they are mixed with the sea. Mysis don't stand in deep water, look between stones or in grass, there you can find big swarms of it. At first you may think that are fish, but it don't source a net and than start to search.
May you can ask the fishers, i think they would know where you can find food in the right size. Beleve me, when you live next to the ocean, you would find some food.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back