Mystique A. aculeatus

I always stress myself out the day before I have one comming. I do a large water change, clean the glass, skimmer then test everything. I am a fanatic about testing. I look like a mad scientist with all my test tubes and solutions.

Shh... don't tell anyone but when I first started in SW, I tested everyday, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, PH, calcium, Kh, phospates etc. I kept a journal and wrote it down everyday. I can remember mentioning it at a LFS, they laughed at me. I felt pretty foolish but honestly I thought everyone did. Man, the test kits I went through. :bonk:
I have used the microwave to heat water in a pinch. Not the best way but I don't think it is harmful, someone will correct me if I am wrong. I keep 30 salted and heated for emergencies. If I have one on a water change day, (I split into 2 days or I dont have enough) I'm in trouble. An example is the day I lost Diablo and he inked.
I am keeping my :fingerscrossed: that things go smoothly.

JMP;170750 said:
:welcome: Little one!!!! Congrats! :fingerscrossed: Everything stays well!!! Can't wait to see more photos!!!

Me too :biggrin2: So far I have only seen him at night and he seems to be very shy so it could be a long wait. If I remember correctly it took HP some time to come out as well so I think it may be a week or so before I get to actually see this little guy during the day. This of course is dependent on the fact that he is actually an A. aculeatus. I am not sure if he is an A. aculeatus or A. abaculus as D mentioned, so we will have to see. I also dont know if A. abaculus is a nocturnal species or not so that will come with time also. It would be very cool if its an A. abaculus. I would be able to keep him in my 40 and he will have PLENTY of swimming room.

I have decide that I prefer my octopuses to be shes lol I dont know why. Maybe its because I am a she and just assume she should be one too. IDK But I have decided on a name. I like the name Mystique and so she shall be named :biggrin2:

Lmecher;170792 said:
Mystique is am good name, could go either way. I hate not knowing the sex, I find myself going back and forth calling them he and she. At this point I don't really prefer one sex over the other, just alive.

Alive is def a bonus :biggrin2: and I love that name. One of the other great things about keeping octopuses is that normal names just dont seem to suit them, so you can name them something off the wall and its ok :lol:. I wish she would come out more though. I want to be able to feed her and though I have shrimp in there for her to catch I dont know that she actually is catching anything.

Right now I am preping more water for doing another water change tomorrow. Its been so long since I have actually had to do anything to my water that it was kind of a PITA to set everything back up again lol. The water is actually rather cold and I have to make sure its, well... not lol. I hope the pump in there will warm it up by tomorrow. I really want to be able to get things moving along again.

I have BIG dreams for setting up my 75 gallon. I dream of an automatic water changer and nitrate reactors lol.

Any sighting yet? Sometimes it takes them a week or more to figure out we are not threatening! I am sure if you really scan your tank she maybe in in a spot watching where you just can't see her. Sometimes it is only an eyeball observing so can be very difficult to see!

dwhatley;171078 said:
I am very glad you are changing it (once we figure out how :biggrin2:) as I can never spell Sabrina without looking it up so I almost always use SK.

:biggrin2: And it is done.

corw314;171088 said:
Any sighting yet? Sometimes it takes them a week or more to figure out we are not threatening! I am sure if you really scan your tank she maybe in in a spot watching where you just can't see her. Sometimes it is only an eyeball observing so can be very difficult to see!

No I still havent seen her and trust me I have been looking. I want to take the whole damned tank apart so that I can find her but I am pretty sure if shes just tramatized then doing so will just freak her out more.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back