*Mystic & Lucid* - ID For NZ Octopus? ....

:rainbow:Hi there,

I was wondering if someone can help Identify this (girl?) for me?
I live in Wellington, New Zealand.
She was found in a Sub-Rockpool in Wellington.
She is also Coldwater Marine.

:notworth:Any help would be appreciated!:notworth:

:sagrin:Cheers in Advance!:sagrin:

16-09-07-56Small.jpg

16-09-07-60Small.jpg

16-09-07-61Small.jpg

16-09-07-62Small.jpg

:boat:

:welcome: I can't help with the ID, but I bet AM is right that Steve or Jean will know any NZ octopod pretty readily...

Upvote 0
Steve is actually in Wellington right now... I would hazard a guess at Pinnoctopus cordiformis but I'm not sure of its distribution. I'll point other more knowledgeable persons in the direction of this thread... :roll:

Upvote 0
Hi and welcome to TONMO.com!

Your octopus looks like the big octopuses they keep in the Portobello Aquarium in NZ. When Jean comes online again, she'll be able to tell us.

Nancy

Upvote 0
dude;101800 said:
bad news looks like a Giant octopus:sink::sink::sink::sink::sink::sink:

Why? Because it's red? Seriously doubt Enteroctopus Dofleini is hanging out in New Zealand, it's native to British Columbia, northwestern coast from California to Alaska. Could be a large species though, since the cold water tends to help lengthen their lifespan.

I would wait for the pros on this one.

Upvote 0
looks like Pinnoctopus cordiformis the common octopus. I wouldn't keep it long, they grow VERY large (up to 3m arm spread) and are escape artists. They also require a LOT of live crabs (up to 15 a day when growing) and we've had no success training them to eat dead prey!

Good luck!!!

J

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back