Mystery thing

Emperor mentioned that there are a lot of goats in that area, and myopsida suggested that a sheep's hoof (fairly similar) would also be about the same shape and size. The overgrown bit at the end does seem strange, if the ungulate were running up and down hills all day... but the presence on a river bank isn't that surprising. I have found all kinds of mammalian remains (in various conditions) washed up beside flowing water. The weirdest one was probably a human femur beside Bull Run Creek near Washington, D.C.; because the bone was fairly old (over a hundred years) and had a surprisingly round hole through the knee, and the creek runs through former Civil War battlefields north of the spot where I found it, I think it was from a soldier.

:cthulhu:

.... well the next challenge becomes one of tracking down what goat species live in the area, then sourcing a pic of its hoof(s), front and rear, inner and outer, left and right legs, male and female (but no middle bits!).....

... Honestly, this has been a rather fascinating exercise; it would be nice to direct the reporter to this site to see how the mystery object was identified by process of elimination.

It is very symmetrical; would one see such symmetry in a goat hoof/clove (onion, tomatoe ... whatever it was called)? Would this lend support to the turtle idea?

Ps, is 'cloave' or 'cloaf' the correct singular for the 2 halves of the cloaved hoof?

.... ooops (Ed), 'clove' or 'clofe'

Steve,

Yeah, I would doubt that such a shape could be made of a cloven hoof, though it is an interesting theory. Do you folks have a herpetologist on staff @ U of Aukland?

Oh, and my physiology instructor spent time at Aukland U this winter studying bats. You Nuzies have a great species that forage on the ground.

John

Ja, tiz called Tintenbatus nocturnalforagensae; has a habit of being quick toungued and stealing priceless artefacts from walls when you're not aware! A second species, a one-off-hybrid between the two (an experiment gone wrong) is Tintenbatus ummmmmmummmmmmensis ..... (very rare .... only 4 offspring known).

Tintenfisch said:
Emperor mentioned that there are a lot of goats in that area, and myopsida suggested that a sheep's hoof (fairly similar) would also be about the same shape and size. The overgrown bit at the end does seem strange, if the ungulate were running up and down hills all day... but the presence on a river bank isn't that surprising.

I should say that as well as goats there are wide flat areas with lots of framing so it could easily be just about any local ungulate (donkeys, horses and sheep being the most common).

Emps

"Two legged mutton is a dish best served cold...and it is very, very cold in space, Captain Kirk..."

Greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back